Speedometer stops working - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Slick81583
Speedometer stops working

so im driving tonight, everything is fine, all of a sudden, my speedometer just goes to zero. stops working right in front of me. any one know where the wiring is for it so i can check to see whats wrong? or anyone know why it would just stop working like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick81583
so im driving tonight, everything is fine, all of a sudden, my speedometer just goes to zero. stops working right in front of me. any one know where the wiring is for it so i can check to see whats wrong? or anyone know why it would just stop working like that?

It is probably the speed-o gear that is inside the tranny..it is made of plastic ....does the Odometer still work?

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#3 Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

NoHp4me is an unknown
yeah its probably just the speed sensor... it may come back on it may not... but it's gonna need to be replaced
#4 Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
what would cause it to go like that? could it have been something that I did? also, how much is it to fix something like that?
#5 Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

NoHp4me is an unknown
actually the speed sensor is just something that will go out in time... they aren't too expensive... dunno about on a wrx on prices... but they aren't hard to install/remove either... just normally 1 bolt if that is infact the reason it went out... take it to say.. an aamco transmission shop or somewhere as such.... perferably where you can get a free computer scan to see if it is outputting info to the cpu
#6 Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
My Speedometer did the same thing like 2 months ago. The car's still under warranty so I took it in, turns out it was bearings on the drive gear in the tranny for the speedo. The odometer won't be working either if thats the case with yours.

My car was in the shop for over 2 weeks, and the total cost was $800 with labor, being under warranty I didn't have to pay anything.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#7 Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
great...i have a 5 year warranty on it, but im afraid with the mods that ive done, it might be expired. its weird b.c the speedo works most of the time and sometimes it doesnt. it doesnt have anything to do with heat in the engine bay does it? i need to put the turbo heat shield back on and i was wondering if the heat was causing it to malfunction sometimes....also, totally off topic, but the rubber tube coming out of the firewall next to the turbo..what isit? ### i noticed it was leaking something, looked like water, but i wasnt sure...anyone know?
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

soobieWRX06 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to soobieWRX06
ac drain hose. you must have the defroster or AC on

06 WRX TR
Aspen White
Stage II
#9 Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
is it supposed to be connected somewhere? it looks like its just hanging there and dripping and its not connected to anything
#10 Old 10-04-2006, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's supposed to just hang there, it's only purpose is to just drain water.

When the speedometer stopped working on my car, it worked errectically for about 5 miles, then didn't work at all, and the odometer didn't turn over, and the CEL came on. Did you check to see if it's a fuse for your dash?

I'm sure you could take all your mods off and take it to the dealer if you wanted, it could be something serious, it could be something minor.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#11 Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
would heat have any effect over the speed sensor? i just replaced the DP and didnt put a heat shield back yet...isnt the speed sensor module or whatever located right near it? i notice that my speedo works unti the engine really heats up and then it gets fritzy...like very erratic...but not when the engine is cool to warm, only seems like if its hot out or if ive been driving it for a bit, say 25-30 min straight...any ideas?
#12 Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

I wouldn't think heat would have any effect on the sensor, maybe it's a bearing such as with my case, once the transmission heats up enough, the oil loses some lubrication properties and causes the drive gear not to spin? Far fetched I guess.

Beats me really, you could take it to a non-Subaru repair shop and have them take a look at it, try and diagnose the problem before you tear off all your mods and take it to the dealer.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#13 Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick81583
would heat have any effect over the speed sensor? i just replaced the DP and didnt put a heat shield back yet...isnt the speed sensor module or whatever located right near it? i notice that my speedo works unti the engine really heats up and then it gets fritzy...like very erratic...but not when the engine is cool to warm, only seems like if its hot out or if ive been driving it for a bit, say 25-30 min straight...any ideas?
No heat wouldn't effect the speed sensor...it is a plastic piece...when I first switched to my dog box I went through speed sensor's like they were condoms on prom night...

If you want a hardened (metal) sensor get a hold of Andrew at 301-325-1685 he is the one that has helped me out A LOT with my Dog Box and he knows his shit...he owns a shop somewhere in the northeast

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#14 Old 10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Slick81583 is an unknown
OK, so my speedo problem is really being a pain in the ass now. Its still very erratic...works most of the time, but then out of nowhere, itll just stop and ill get a CEL. when i check the CEL, it doesnt bring up anything so I dont even know where to start. last night, the speedo stopped, CEL came on and then my lights stopped working...not running lights, the actual switch lights....then today after I reset the ECU, speedo stopped again, CEL came on and then the engine started acting weird. Around 2-3k in the rpm range, the engine was very rough, like it was trying to go but couldnt...any ideas on what the hell is going on with this?!Cry!
#15 Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

My AP wouldn't read my CEL either when my speedo stopped working, apparently there's CEL's that Subaru dosen't release to the public, so not all CELs can be read by the AP (thats what Cobb told me).

If the car gets to around 5000rpm and sound's like it's struggling then it's because th car is in limp mode, and the ecu puts a rev limiter at like 4800rpm.

You prob nee dto bite the bullet and go have a pro check it out.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V