Subaru WRX Forum banner

something is grinding

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Chase 
#1 ·
Ok, So I had to take a customer home today and he lived down an insanely long dirt/gravel driveway. It was raining so it was pretty muddy. I took my 06 rex and on the way back I figured Id have a litttle fun at this very open spot that was on the way back.

I was not destroying my car just having a little fun. I didnt redline or go over any big rocks and the terrain was hardly rough at all. I just did a few doughnuts and took a couple turns. I was probably doing it for about 5 minutes then headed back. About 2 hours later I go to run an errand and my car makes a noise kinda like you hear when your brakes need replacing and its touching metal on metal.

I figured there was just some mud and gravel under my car. So I jack my car up on my 2 post lift and pressure wash under my car. Got pretty much every spec of dirt off from under my car. It still makes the sound!!!!!!! It doesnt happen at any specific time but does make the noise every time I drive it.

any ideas???????????

#5 ·
If it makes the noise at low speeds, grab a friend to walk by you while moving. Maybe you guys can narrow it to a particular spot. My money's on a rock in the brakes though, after your rainy gravely mudbath.

#9 ·
Yep, it's a rock between the backing plate and the brake rotor. A prybar and a little wheel spinning usually does it. I get it all the time when they chip coat the roads around here.

#13 ·
Your boost numbers are just about right. According to Cobb's Stage 2, 93 Octane map notes for an 06/07 WRX, the boost target is ~15.2 psi (+/- 0.7 psi) peak boost pressure tapering down to ~10 psi, depending on vehicle and conditions.

Be sure to give us an update after you mess with your brakes. I'm sure everybody is curious if that was, indeed, your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.