Some immediate help please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
Some immediate help please

So this past wednesday i get in my 2007 wrx to leave work, it starts up fine an evrything, i get about a half mile down the road an make a right turn onto another road, as i shift through the gears ( normal driving ) when i shift into third the car bogs out an shuts off, so i coast into the nearest parking lot. I give it a minute or two an i try to start it, it starts up but has terribly irractic idle an when you try to giv it any throttle it jus bogs out an wants to shut off. The only mods to the car have been done for well over two years an all thats done is the spt air intake the hks blow-off valve an manual boost controller set at like 12 psi. Ive never had any problems until this an it has me completely boggled. So if anyone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. I am new to this forum an yes ive had my wrx for like 3 years but i have limited knowledge of them an could really use the help, preferibly in highly detailed form off how to go about fixing this with possibly even pictures an location of parts to be of concern. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Someone with a little more experience will have to help out here, but sounds like maybe your MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) failed? That's an easy fix if that's the case. It's the sensor on the top of your intake hose just after the air filter. It's 2 screws and a connector.

I'm going to be the first to say it, hopefully politely enough as well. I'd recommend you take off the manual boost controller as it causes issues with overboosting at partial throttle.

The BOV will cause a brief rich condition while shifting (any time the BOV is releasing air atmospherically), and isn't a beneficial mod. I get that it sound cool, but there's no benefit and actually gives a decrease to the cars performance (even though it's small).
#3 Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
I have not tried the mas yet, but jus from reading some of the stuff on here i already elected to remove both the manual boost controller an the bov. Do you think its a possibilty that it could have sucked something up in the fuel filter or possibly even something to do with the coil packs on the plugs or maybe a fouled plug? I am stumped
#4 Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sound like a timing belt slip to anyone? I could be way out in left field here...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#5 Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Sound like a timing belt slip to anyone? I could be way out in left field here...
Plausible, but I would seriously doubt it. You would hear some severe belt lash if the tensioner were loose enough to let the timing belt slip. Also, I think it would continue to slip afterward. Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FAS4DR View Post
I have not tried the mas yet, but jus from reading some of the stuff on here i already elected to remove both the manual boost controller an the bov. Do you think its a possibilty that it could have sucked something up in the fuel filter or possibly even something to do with the coil packs on the plugs or maybe a fouled plug? I am stumped
I am happy to see you removed the MBC. I strongly doubt that it is a fuel filter issue. It wouldn't be quite as sudden. The reason I steered you to the MAF is because the car will run without the MAF. It will run like total crap without it, but it runs nonetheless. It's also an easy part to check out. Did you get a check engine light (please let there be a CEL!)?
#6 Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
No I dint get know check engine light, that's what really has me puzzled an scared!
#7 Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sounds fuel related to me. Don't push the car till it's resolved, might create dangerously lean conditions and detonate. Also might not hurt to check the spark plugs.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
Sorry mosc, but I have to push it rite now ### it won't stay running! Lol
#9 Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
Mosc, you only live in Philly, thats only a couple hours from me. You should take a road trip an come see ### you can fiqure out!
#10 Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'd start by cleaning the MAF, then check your plugs and coil packs (PITA), then maybe double check your front O2 sensor is in good shape....

The fact that you're throwing zero codes confuses me. If it were a misfire you should throw a code.

-Chris
#11 Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anyone suspect maybe a fuel pump ?

OP... was/is it low on gas when all this happens?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
The fact that you're throwing zero codes confuses me. If it were a misfire you should throw a code.
You would think, but that's why my car is at the dealer and I'm driving a lame Impreza loaner. My car has been misfiring but hasn't thrown a code.

+1 for the order RcrsWetDream recommended checking stuff. There's specific MAF cleaner stuff to do it, but I doubt it's dirty, due to how suddenly it happened. If you had a hunk of crap get to all the injectors at once it could explain the car running like that, but the fuel filter should catch stuff that big. A clogged fuel filter usually wouldn't kill it quickly either. That's why I assume it's electronic or ignition related. MAF then coil packs. I'd do the same with my car, only it's under warranty so I'm letting the dealer do it.
#13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
As far as the gas question it has a little under a half a tank. I am also leaning towards the mass airflow sensor, but i dont wana go spend the 300 an some dollars for one an that not be the problem, is there anyway to test it?
#14 Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

1FAS4DR is an unknown
Also the coil packs are the indivdual boxes on the plugs rite? If so how could you possibly tell if somethin was wrong with one of them?
#15 Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can swap the packs to different sides of the engine to see if the issue moves with the coil or not.

If it does, there ya go, if not, coil packs are fine. It would be nice if your car threw a misfire code so you knew for sure what side it was on though. The code will move to different banks (1 or 2, L or R) if you swap the coils.

I think the MAF is only $75-100 but just clean it first. Takes 5 minutes. I doubt your MAF went bad as you have a 2007. It's probably not the maf but it's worth a shot either way.

I agree with hondafan, it sounds more like a spark/fuel issue to me. Maybe even a really fouled plug blowing out or something.

-Chris