so I got a CEL... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

o5WRX is an unknown
so I got a CEL...

So I was driving around last night just practicin learning to drive my car hard... and I got a CEL... this happened on my way home after all the beating I gave her. I got the code read this morning and it was a P0172 - Fuel trim malfunction (A/F too rich). What could of caused this? Driving it around today the CEL went away. All I have for mods is a BOV and a Short Ram Intake. Did I just bust the myth about rich conditions between shifts with atmospheric BOV's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

DUBXTCY is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DUBXTCY
most likely your BOV if you haven't had your car tuned for it. reset the ecu, if it happens again remove the BOV and see if you can throw the code again.

-KJ

Cobb Stage II 2006 WRX
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
The MAF sensor could be dirty, try checking that. The intake or BOV may also be the problem. I have heard that this could be cause by incorrect fuel pressure. Have you done any thing to you car in the recent past?
post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2006, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
I wouldn't say that a myth has been busted, simply because there's validity to richness with bov's, but that's another arguement for another day.

Fuel trims take a while to change, they don't just change every second or mile for that matters. They take a little time and driving.

More than likely, your trims straightened themselves out and that's why the light went off. I would tell you to try putting the stock parts back on and then see if it happens again. I'm thinking that it was a mix between both parts that screwed the trims up in the first place.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
More than likely, your trims straightened themselves out and that's why the light went off. I would tell you to try putting the stock parts back on and then see if it happens again. I'm thinking that it was a mix between both parts that screwed the trims up in the first place.
YEP It'll work itself out...just get the light cleared and you should be good to go

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
post #6 of 9 Old 03-13-2006, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

logon69 is an unknown
A Dirt Maf Never Causes A Rich Condition. It Is Always Lean!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

o5WRX is an unknown
Well I got the CEL again after about a week... so I went ahead and put my stock BOV back on and left my K&N short ram on. Drove my car around and the CEL went away after some time. After being used to having my aftermarket BOV and switching back to my stocker, I could tell a difference between the two. Between shifts the RPMs didn't drop off as fast and when coming to stops my car doesn't want to try and stall on me (It never did stall with my aftermarket BOV but the RPMs always dropped really low). So now that I've had my stocker on for a week, my car has been running fine. Kinda miss the noise but no more CEL problems. I may upgrade to the HKS SSQV BOV (always heard positive reviews about this one)... has anyone had problems with that BOV? or I may just stay with the stocker and enjoy the quiet ride.. opinions?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5WRX
I may upgrade to the HKS SSQV BOV (always heard positive reviews about this one)... has anyone had problems with that BOV? or I may just stay with the stocker and enjoy the quiet ride.. opinions?
Hehe... that's funny... reminds me of this current thread -> New car and Problems HELP ASAP!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5WRX
Well I got the CEL again after about a week... so I went ahead and put my stock BOV back on and left my K&N short ram on. Drove my car around and the CEL went away after some time. After being used to having my aftermarket BOV and switching back to my stocker, I could tell a difference between the two. Between shifts the RPMs didn't drop off as fast and when coming to stops my car doesn't want to try and stall on me (It never did stall with my aftermarket BOV but the RPMs always dropped really low). So now that I've had my stocker on for a week, my car has been running fine. Kinda miss the noise but no more CEL problems. I may upgrade to the HKS SSQV BOV (always heard positive reviews about this one)... has anyone had problems with that BOV? or I may just stay with the stocker and enjoy the quiet ride.. opinions?
Well that isn't the first time I have heard of an aftermarket BOV giving problems..if you are pretty much stock then you don't have a need for a new BOV and if you notice that the stock BOV doesn't hold boost the way you want it to you could always crush it...worked for a few people I deal with...if you must 'upgrade' your BOV I would go with the APS because you know for a fact it is done the right way....IMO

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement