Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   smoking issue rings, turbo, or just rich tune? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/smoking-issue-rings-turbo-just-rich-tune-32986/)

phares2124 09-06-2012 03:53 PM

smoking issue rings, turbo, or just rich tune?

So I just bought this car off a friend and noticed it has been smoking a good amount but runs perfectly fine i dunno if it is my rings and bad turbo or just the tune. he said the tune was setup up to run rich and is normal that it is dumping some smoke but the smoke isnt black it is either grey or white thats what has got me confused. Also, with the meth kit i am running it seems that whenever i beat on the car after a while the idle will go up, i was told this is a build up of meth that hasnt burned yet......if anyone has had simialar issues or knows anything that might be of help id greatly appreciate it........ all the mods are listed below to give you and idea of the setup im running right now its making around 446whp at 24 psi on a safe tune had it at 503 before at 28psi......any thoughts or comments will help thankyou!

2004 WRX 5spd manual with ppg straight cut gears
2.0l well 2.5l now
World Rally Blue
68,xxx miles

Mod list includes:
Engine:
ATP stock location 35R externally modified
AEM meth kit 100% meth
APS DR75 front mount intercooler
APS 65 cold air intake
APS turbo inlet
TGV delete
Grimmspeed ported throttle body
EFI Logics custom Fuel rails
DW750cc injectors
Walbro dual fuel pump setup
Custom made big tube uppipe with eternal wastegate dumptube
tial 50mm BOW
tial 38mm wastegate
AEM Stadalone ECU protuned by EFI
stromung downpipe
maddad 3rd cat delete (with fake heatshield)
invidia race catback
Grimmspeed crossover pipe

Drivetrain/Suspension
PPG straight cut 1st-4th gear
ACT streetlite clutch
Megan racing series Coilovers (looow)
kartboy short throw shifter
front a rear strut tower braces (Cusco)

I went with a hybrid build 2.5l using a STI block, porting out my stock 2.0l heads to a 2.5l. the motor was fully built with Brian crowler valve,supertech springs, supertech 99.5mm pistons, cosworth 272 cams,TGV delete,grimmspeed ported throttle body,and a custom fuel rail with mostly aeromotive rails and regulator.

RcrsWetDream 09-06-2012 04:14 PM

When does it smoke? Idle, decel, mild accel, hard accel?

If you can get a whiff of it, what does it smell like; fuel, burning oil, or sweet (coolant)? Coolant=white, fuel=blackish, oil=grey.

phares2124 09-07-2012 08:18 AM

it smells like its running a little rich but id say the smoke is a blueish grey. It smokes at all defferent times i noticed it alot when coming to a stop, but also smokes a little while acceling. It runs pretty dam good so I dont beileve its my rings Im kindof leaning on something to do with the turbo. I also noticed the idle really only goes up when i do a quick pull then come to a stop, i beat on it pretty welll last night raced it a few times and the idle was fine. Could the idle problem be a result of maybe a meth build up maybe its getting to much meth because im running through a good amount of it.......btw i dnt have a catch can i was wondering if that might have something to do with it.

pzr2874 09-07-2012 08:33 AM

Take the piping off and look at the turbo. No OCC or AOS?

phares2124 09-07-2012 08:44 AM

Sorry for my inexperience of subuarus this is my first turboed car ive had supercharged mustangs my whole life but what do u mean by occ and aos

newtothegame 09-07-2012 10:29 AM

OCC= Oil Catch Can. AOS= Air Oil Seperator.

phares2124 09-07-2012 11:58 AM

i know it doesnt have a catch can which i need i dunno about the aos

phares2124 09-07-2012 12:00 PM

It doesnt have an aos i just checked

man show 09-07-2012 03:39 PM

You don't need both an OCC and an AOS - one or the other should suffice.

FWIW, my built motor still smokes occasionally on startup, but that's because my injectors are obscenely large and instead of blasting fuel into the engine like a fire hose (like they were designed to do), they're forced against their will to drip a little tinkle of fuel when the car is first starting up and idling. It might just be the nature of your beast. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your oil level.

psinuse 09-08-2012 05:07 AM

Do you know the mixture on your meth kit? 750cc injectors are kind of small for that power level.

RcrsWetDream 09-10-2012 07:38 AM

Another option is just turning the car on, then taking off the oil cap and seeing if there is smoke or a lot of air coming OUT of it.

A normal engine will have a pulsing coming out, and if you put your hand over it, the vacuum will lightly suck your hand to the filler neck. If you have a bad piston/ring in there you could see a decent amount of smoke coming out and there won't be much vacuum.

pzr2874 09-10-2012 09:54 AM

Or just do a compression chk