SMOKE! Please Help!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ecarbots is an unknown
Unhappy SMOKE! Please Help!!

First, let me say I am not a technical guy, so I really need some help. I have a 2004 WRX and I recently (3000 miles ago) got a brand new engine (which is a whole other story!). Anyway, After a couple hundred miles on the new engine, i saw a little smoke coming out of the passenger side of the engine. I freaked out and called Subaru...they said it could be Cormalene (sp?) burning off the new engine and not to worry as long as the fluids were okay and the temp gauge was normal. Everything seemed normal--it drove great, right temp, oil level fine etc.....then it stopped smoking after a little while. Then it happend again a while later, then stopped again. Today, at 3500 mles on the new engine, I noticed that same smoke on the passenger side of the engine. Weird smell--more like a chemical than oil or gas. So, sorry for this long explanation, but do you have any ideas? I mean everything SEEMS fine but I get this weird smoke and smell. And everyone is telling me not to worry as long as the temp gauge is normal ad the oil and coolent levels are okay!! What could the deal be!!???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2006, 02:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
After 3.5K anything that could've burnt off would've by now, you have a leak somewhere. It sounds to me like coolant, coolant has a sweet smell when it's burnt.

Check to see if there are any loose connections at the radiatior fill and at the turbo.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtrJ is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXtrJ
what color is the smoke..that will tell you what type of liquid it is.

oil- light or dark blue
white vapor- cracked block or cylinder head or a leaky head gasket may be letting water into the engine. youll need professional help with this one.

wrx vrs. the world
post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Also look to see if maybe it's just coolant dripping onto a hot pipe. Could be something as simple as the t-stat housing isn't tightened down, and it's dripping onto something. If you're seeing smoke coming from the engine, most of the time, that's going to be the result of a fluid dripping onto a hot surface, so see if you can locate the source of the drip. If it looks like it's just coming from the block, might it be oil seeping out (ie: from valve cover gasket) and burning off from the block itself? Look on the ground under the engine, do you see any fluid that has dripped down? If so, what color (black or green most likely). Keep it simple and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement