simple radiator change and now have all sorts of problems - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
simple radiator change and now have all sorts of problems

ok so i have an 02 wrx the 2.0 turbo. only modification is a cat back exhaust. i had a slow radiatior leak and i read that was common so no biggie i found an after market aluminum one. CXracing is the brand. nothing high dollar just aftermarket. any way i replaced it hooked everything back as was and filled coolant. let it idol got to proper running temp and thought i was done.

well the first drive out it the temp gauge started climbing quick not far from my drive way. so i pulled over and shut her down and let her cool. got it back home and nothing seemed out of place, there was plenty of coolant and no leaks. so i went for a ride again and it took a little longer but evenutally did the same thing

heres where it gets weird...

the next day i began trouble shooting again and still found no explination. so i test ran and drove. this time it stayed at proper running temp. ? so pleased with that i began accelerating harder and harder just to make sure. well when i started boosting new problems started. at about .06-.07 mpa shes starts misfiring and eventually the engine light began blinking. so i pulled over let her cool and babyed it back home.

when testing earlyer the highest the temp gauge got was between the second middle line and the red. at no point did it spiike or get to the red. so im assuming that wouldnt be hot enough to cause damage?? fingers crossed.

Also prior to the radiator change the car ran like a raped ape. no problems at all and had tons of power and full boost. i never ajusted changed or messed with anything but swapin the radiator.

so im not sure whats going on and any input would be great thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably need to burp some air out of the coolant system.

-Chris
#3 Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
yea thats what i was thinking and i did try woking the air out and it seemed like it was working it out the resivour tube. maybe i just need to do it a little more. thanks
#4 Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, when I changed my coolant @ 30k miles, I burped my system many times until I saw almost no bubbles... that process took much longer than I expected.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
yea it did take a while to get all the air out. but its still not right when im boosting it. right around .06 mpa it just starts laging and wont boost any more and evenutally flips on the blinking check engin light. would air in the system cause this? i dont really see how but im no expert.
#6 Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, if your check engine light keeps coming on, it would be a good idea to take it somewhere and have the code(s) read. Local parts stores (Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc.) will usually read the codes for you for free. That might help point you in the right direction anyway.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
well the cel isnt on it just starts blinking when i boost. i did however put a reader on it and there were 2 codes, p0420, this one i knew about and there was also p1443. p0420-Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 1. and from what i understand that is most likely an 02 sensor. p1443-Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem. this one is known for the gas cap being loose i know and idk if thats what caused that or not.

but in any event to my untrianed eyes it doesnt seem like that would be related to boost dropping off. but idk. car runs and drives great w/o boost. and the gauge says it is building the full amount (if i let it) but is sputers and is not even kind of pulling like normal.
#8 Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The p1443 can also be from the charcoal canister on your car. I cant recall where its located (in the back behind one of the rear wheels). They can/do go bad or get damaged and need replacing.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 05-29-2010, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
thats possible. but i dont think the charcoal canister is causing the running problems. im thinking if theres no air leaking, the loss of power and boost may be do to a clogged cat? but the problem then is theres 3 of them and there very expensive. and i already tried checking the furthest back one and broke a bolt and i have a feeling if i do get it off its not going back on reguardless if its the problem or not.
#10 Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirt88 is an unknown
thanks for all the info. i actually just worked it out. when i was pouring the coolant in i spilled a good amount at first and i got thinking how the plugs are right below. so investigated that and got plugs for it while i was in there. and im not sure if it was just cleaning the conections of the coils or the plugs or what but its back to running great. cleared the computer and still no cel. it still doenst seem 110% but its damn close. i think the coils are about due for a replace because they were looking pretty shady and the layers of metal were separating. but at about $95 a pop they might have to wait a few weeks. but thanks to everyone who replyed. i learned alot.