serious misfire issue! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
serious misfire issue!

I have a 2007 subaru wrx AT with a stage 2 tune. Earlier this month i had a deer jump out in front of me and damage the whole front end. The body shop had my car for about 3 weeks to repair everything. They said they had someone check the motor of the car to make sure nothing was wrong with it. Anyways when i picked it up i was driving home and had no problem with it as far as feeling any power loss or anything, in fact once im driving the car theres no serious issue. Yet when i come to stop the rpms at first would fluctuate and now the car shakes and feels like its going to bog out but the rpms arent fluctuating anymore. It hasnt thrown any codes and just to be sure my check engine light worked i unplugged the MAF sensor and that threw a code so i know the check engine light works, but when i hooked my computer up to it and ran the romraider logger it shows roughness on cylinder 4 and only that cylinder. It misfires the whole time i sit at idle but never throws a code. What could cause this?

Ive replaced the spark plug and switched coil packs to see if it would follow but it still shows on cylinder 4. Ive read where an injectore could go bad or could be a compression issure, but every thread i have read about this people have had codes thrown. Could it be somethin as simple as bad gas doing this? I will say as the tank has gotten lower the shake has gotten worse. Is it possible the body shopdrove it around and then put like a gallon or 2 of the wrong gas in my car and cause this? Or would that cause all the cylinders to act like this. Any ideas would be helpful before i have to go spend the diagnostic money from subaru when i might be able to figure it out myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like a vacuum hose is misplaced or not hooked up correctly. I haven't a clue what they would mess with if it was just body damage. Did they do any pulls on a frame straightner?

Take it back to them if in doubt.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
No looking over the paper work for what they did it doesnt say anything about messing with the frame. I know they had to mess with the radiator cause they had to fix the condensor and i know they unhooked all my coolant lines and a/c lines but not sure if they unhooked a vacuum line ill try to look down all the hoses again to be sure. Any particular vacuum hose to try to look for that would cause an issue on just one cylinder like that
post #4 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not that I know of. How is your collant temp?

Take it back. Get a loaner and have them mess with it.

It wasn't doing it b4 the accident....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
my coolant reads between 190 and 200 at idle and while driving. i attached a learning view of my car. I also have swapped my injectors around and changed plugs and switched coil packs around again just to be sure. Still getting the same effect but the shake is not nearly as bad as it has been since i've added fuel injector cleaner and put new gas in it. still gets a misfire on cylinder 4 without throwing codes but now its being even more random with my logs because i can sit at a light and it won't start misfiring and then drive a little bit and stop again and it will start misfiring again. the dealership is telling me it could be a valve clearance issue or the ringland on the piston. Personally I would think if it was a ringland issue it would be more serious then what i'm getting but i could be wrong i guess. i might just go ahead and pay the 100 bucks for the diagnostics from subaru and see what they say because Im really running out of ideas on what could cause this. unless you might have an idea.

Also I cleaned the maf sensor and sprayed intake cleaner around the vacuum lines while the car was running to see if it would get sucked up by any of the lines and no luck with that.
Attached Images

post #6 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm assuming they had the battery unplugged for quite a long time. It could be bad gas or the realtime map is fubared and is rebuilding its self. Is this all in the same day you picked it up or over the course of a few days?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 27 Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I picked the car up on friday and its been doing this ever since. I just put new gas in it today so im hoping that after this tank if it is bad gas it will flush it out of the system cause like i said im out of ideas
post #8 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Have you seafoamed it yet? It's a longshot but I'm an avid believer SF is a cureALMOSTall

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I havent used seafoam yet. I did use techron fuel injector cleaner when i filled up but im gonna try to use seafoam when the gas goes down this time. Should i try using the seafoam through my vacuum lines and the fuel or just the fuel for right now
post #10 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

The BPV

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
The bpv? Oh you mean put the seafoam in the vacuum line through there
post #12 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yes. Do a search on here. The small/thin hose you pull off the BPV.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #13 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Yea i understand what you are talkin bout just threw me off when you just put "the bpv". Ill try to do it here in a little bit and see what happens
post #14 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Ok i just used seafoam and when i was pouring it in the vacuum line i saw a lot of smoking coming from underneath the IC and around the exhaust. Is this normal. I use to use SF with a honda i had and never saw it do that before
post #15 of 27 Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Sorry when i say exhaust i meant the downpipe where it connects to the turbo