Sat for years and now won't run - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Haven't done a comp. test but I don't see why the head gasket would fail from sitting. And it catches on the first turn of the key. Plugs were black but not wet. I know what you mean about having to figure things out. Why do you think I'm the one doing this ? Drives me nuts but then I'm of the generation of "as long as it has gas, air, spark & comp. it will run".
"I don't need no stinkin sensooor".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig E. View Post
Haven't done a comp. test but I don't see why the head gasket would fail from sitting. And it catches on the first turn of the key. Plugs were black but not wet. I know what you mean about having to figure things out. Why do you think I'm the one doing this ? Drives me nuts but then I'm of the generation of "as long as it has gas, air, spark & comp. it will run".
"I don't need no stinkin sensooor".
Yeah I grew up working on 60's and 70's cars. A carb was something you worked on not ate...LOL As the 80's rolled around my father's shop was on of the few that could work and tune on them there computerized cars other than dealerships, but guess who got that job? hint: it wasn't my dad...haha Well the head gasket won't fail from sitting, buuuuuut it could have failed before hand. I'm not saying that's the cause, but just another free thing to check as far as the compression.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#33 Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Ok back on it today. Checked over everything and no vacuum leaks. Tried to start it with the TPS unplugged - wouldn't even start. Had the great idea to switch out the IAC with the one on my rex. Took the one off of his and couldn't get that o-ring/gasket to go back in place. Seems to be to have expanded so I guess I will try to get it real cold between some ice packs and shrink it enough to re-install. Hope its not the IAC becauce that little bastard is
$ 320.00. Hard to tell what vacuum it is pulling with the gauge bouncing around because it doesn't want to idle but looks like about 15-20psi @ about 1200 - 1500 rpm. Someone asked what color injectors are in it - they are blue if that matters. So bottom line is its still won't run. Any further thoughts would obviously be appreciated. Thanks guys !
#34 Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmmm well blue injectors are stock WRX injectors, so that rules out larger injectors unless they were modified before hand.... Runs rich when it does idle, so that means butt loads of fuel....
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........Ummmmm I hate to tell you this, but does it backfire when you start it? If so check the timing marks as these seem to be pointing the direction of the timing belt jumping a tooth or 2 now. I was trying to rule out this, but it has come down to it...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#35 Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Hi psinuse - I was telling my son today that it seems like a possible timing issue but I can't figure the sitting untouched for years into the equation. Someone told him it might be the fuel pump but I would think that if the pump went south it would starve the engine not make it rich. I was actually thinking of switching our throttle bodies out complete with sensors and see if his will start with mine. Running out of ideas
No backfire.

Last edited by Zig E.; 09-08-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Two best words in English - I forgot !
#36 Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well the bearings could have seized in one of the pulleys and that might have caused the belt to slip a tooth or two. It is really starting to sound like that and to be honest I wouldn't start the car anymore until you've check the timing belt and marks to make sure it's right.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#37 Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Do you think it would be worth switching the throttle bodies ? Seems like that would eliminate some possibilities.
#38 Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Only after you check to make sure the timing is right. That's a bunch of work for something that you may not have to do....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#39 Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Hate to ask but how do you go about checking the timing on one of these ? I still have a hard time getting my mind around these engines. Never worked on or had anything to do with V.W.'s back in the day.
#40 Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

There are 5 videos that should help you out...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#41 Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Thanks alot again psinuse. We'll see what we find out.
#42 Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sure no problem that's what we're here for my good sir.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#43 Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
What about fuel pressure regulator ?
#44 Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Could be. Pain in the but to switch out, but it could be.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#45 Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Anyway to check it ? If I get a fuel pressure gauge on it and it reads higher than ? then does that make the regulator suspect ?