Sat for years and now won't run - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well I have seen this before. Guy had a piggy back ECU and once his battery was unplugged it lost the tune and he had to get a new tune...It idled like dog poo and ran horrible. Threw all kinds of CELs as well. I'm off to bed have to get up for work at 4:30am. Let me know what you find out..

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
*scratches head* Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... The car was tuned for the modifications he had on it correct? Was the battery unplugged while the car sat? The tune may have been erase depending on what tune was put on the car and how it was tuned.
But even if it doesn't have that tune on it assuming it was tuned shouldn't the car still start and run? Albeit badly? I dunno i think you may have it right with a vac leak. I would go over all the hoses and make sure they are all connected. Additionally. I would open the air box and make sure there is no unwanted wildlife in there to be sure. Car won't run with no air... And would be super rich before it dies...

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#18 Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Quote:
Well I have seen this before. Guy had a piggy back ECU and once his battery was unplugged it lost the tune and he had to get a new tune...It idled like dog poo and ran horrible. Threw all kinds of CELs as well. I'm off to bed have to get up for work at 4:30am. Let me know what you find out..
Thanks again !
#19 Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
[QUOTE=bad grocerygetter;267210]But even if it doesn't have that tune on it assuming it was tuned shouldn't the car still start and run? Albeit badly? I dunno i think you may have it right with a vac leak. I would go over all the hoses and make sure they are all connected. Additionally. I would open the air box and make sure there is no unwanted wildlife in there to be sure. Car won't run with no air... And would be super rich before it dies...[/QUOTE

It has a cold air kit on it with a foam filter so its not lack of air. I'll look over it again for a leak tomorrow. Just seems that if the leak was that bad then I should hear it hiss or something under the hood. We're up in the high desert of AZ so critters are a problem with cars that sit.
#20 Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Might find a rattlesnaked in the intake. LOL...If the car was tuned on the ECU. Then the Flashed tune would just sit there on the ECU until someone changes it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Well I like cooked rattle snake . So it apparently doesn't have a dyno tune. I'm I barking up the wrong tree with the TPS ?
#22 Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I don't know enough on the individual settings on the ECU to know if the TPS would be the culprit.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#23 Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Might find a rattlesnaked in the intake. LOL...If the car was tuned on the ECU. Then the Flashed tune would just sit there on the ECU until someone changes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter
But even if it doesn't have that tune on it assuming it was tuned shouldn't the car still start and run? Albeit badly? I dunno i think you may have it right with a vac leak. I would go over all the hoses and make sure they are all connected. Additionally. I would open the air box and make sure there is no unwanted wildlife in there to be sure. Car won't run with no air... And would be super rich before it dies...
Not if it was a piggy back unit. Some of the older ones don't actually hold a reflash they simply are programmed to alter some ECU functions and lose those once they have no power.
Did your son buy this car modified or did he do this work himself? No offense, but everything you have told me so far leas me to believe that work was done this car while it sat and that is what is causing the issues...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Quote:
Not if it was a piggy back unit. Some of the older ones don't actually hold a reflash they simply are programmed to alter some ECU functions and lose those once they have no power.
Did your son buy this car modified or did he do this work himself? No offense, but everything you have told me so far leas me to believe that work was done this car while it sat and that is what is causing the issues...
No he didn't do anything to it while it sat. All the mods were done by the original owner. It just sat there beside the shop for 2-3 years. The critter problem really isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Maybe some packrat chewed a hole in a hose or something. I'll have to look at it some more. Can't help but feel that its something basic and obvious.
#25 Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Well simple and cheap...or free are always the best places to start. :-). Give it a good once over check the intercooler piping also that would make it die also if a coupler popped off. Or a clamp came loose

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#26 Old 09-03-2011, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Unplug the TPS sensor and see if it changes anything. Fuel filter could be another reason. The fuel that sat in there for 3 years gelled up and is causing the car to run like poop. I know you drained the tank, but did you also drain the lines and change the filter?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#27 Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Quote:
Unplug the TPS sensor and see if it changes anything. Fuel filter could be another reason. The fuel that sat in there for 3 years gelled up and is causing the car to run like poop. I know you drained the tank, but did you also drain the lines and change the filter?
Yes on the new filter. Drained and filled with fresh fuel but I don't know about the lines. Frankly since the shop did the draining I just have to believe that it happened as well.
#28 Old 09-03-2011, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

*scratches head* I'm stumped and that doesn't happen very often. I still say it a combination of at least 2 things. What color are the injectors if you can see them?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#29 Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Quote:
*scratches head* I'm stumped and that doesn't happen very often. I still say it a combination of at least 2 things. What color are the injectors if you can see them?
Damm good question. I will look when I get back over there. At least I have a few things to look into now. Something has to be unplugged somewhere. If push comes to shove I'll have them put it on the rack so I can check everything out. I'm getting blueish exhaust but maybe something crawled up the pipe and made a nest. Maybe not enough exhaust ?
#30 Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Blueish exhaust means oil burning...Ummm worst case there is a blown head gasket and that would cause the car to not run if the cylinders are filling up with oil...Did you do a compression test on the car?

p.s. I hate not being able to not figure things out...I'm weird like that...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...