Sat for years and now won't run - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Sat for years and now won't run

Hello all - This is my first post so bare with me. My son and I both have WRX's and this question pertains to his '04. For various reasons, which I won't go into, the car ended up sitting for 3 years. He recently was able to get it back on the road so he went to start it up. It fires right up but won't stay running or idling. All the gas was removed first and new gas with cleaner was added. The injectors where removed and sent out for ultra sonic cleaning and testing. Switched the MAS out. Still won't run. Towed it to a shop and they said it threw a lean code and needs injectors but when he is trying to keep it running it smells rich. And I have a hard time believing its the injectors when they have just been serviced. The car and injectors only have 60k on them. So I'm wondering what could go south from just sitting ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig E. View Post
Hello all - This is my first post so bare with me. My son and I both have WRX's and this question pertains to his '04. For various reasons, which I won't go into, the car ended up sitting for 3 years. He recently was able to get it back on the road so he went to start it up. It fires right up but won't stay running or idling. All the gas was removed first and new gas with cleaner was added. The injectors where removed and sent out for ultra sonic cleaning and testing. Switched the MAS out. Still won't run. Towed it to a shop and they said it threw a lean code and needs injectors but when he is trying to keep it running it smells rich. And I have a hard time believing its the injectors when they have just been serviced. The car and injectors only have 60k on them. So I'm wondering what could go south from just sitting ?
Plugs or something of that nature. A car siting for long periods of time without being started is harder on a car than using everyday.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Well I hadn't thought they would go bad but I'm all for the easy stuff.
#4 Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig E. View Post
Well I hadn't thought they would go bad but I'm all for the easy stuff.
Always start with the cheapest easiest fix and work your way to the harder stuff. That's how I was taught to do it... What was the CEL code number that was coming up?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Exactly, my first thought was spark plugs. I've had the same problem with other cars.

Mike
#6 Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
So we pulled the plugs today - all 4 were black as coal. Put new ones in and still won't run. Same as before. So is there a sensor that controls the amount of fuel to the injectors other than the TPS ? What could go bad from sitting and cause it to be so rich ?
#7 Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Man even the coolant sensor is tied into how much fuel the car gets. Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it changes anything. I know you said you switched it out, but try it anyway. Could also be a O2 sensor, front more than likely.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Maybe a dumb question but figured id ask...when you turn the ignition to on do you hear the fuel pump working??

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#9 Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
He's got it somewhat modified so there is no front 02 sensor. Port has always been plugged. As to the fuel pump he's been the one turning the key so I don't know if he hears it or not. But since its rich I would think that the pump works. Could the TPS have gone bad sitting and does this sound like a TPS issue ?
#10 Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

What kind of modification doesn't require a front O2 sensor and did he do this before he quit driving it?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Well again you'll have to bare with me. I know it has a large inter-cooler down in front and a pop off valve. All that has been on it since he bought it and he drove it like that for a couple of years. I'm sure it's supposed to have the 02 but it always ran fine. Silly ass fast for an old guy like me with a stock WRX.
#12 Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

I would be willing to bet if you put the front O2 back in it would help it from running rich. Could be a vacuum leak. What does the boost gauge read for vacuum? Should be around 17-20 in of vacuum.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
Thanks for your help with this psinuse. This is a complete failure of some system. It won't run long enough to get any accurate vacuum reading. He has to keep slightly tapping on the gas to even keep it running at all. It just sputters, like its dieing but smells rich and pukes bluish smoke. I don't think it spark because it fires on the first turn of the key. And like I said it ran great till it sat.
#14 Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

*scratches head* Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... The car was tuned for the modifications he had on it correct? Was the battery unplugged while the car sat? The tune may have been erase depending on what tune was put on the car and how it was tuned.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zig E. is an unknown
No the battery was out of the vehicle. I will ask him about tuning and if it was done. You might be on to something my man.