Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Running Rich with BOV question (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/running-rich-bov-question-33539/)

RickyTurbo11 01-30-2013 05:16 PM

Running Rich with BOV question

First thread. So I have a 2011 Subaru WRX. I love it. So far I'm stage 1 and Invidia catback (as far as performance goes). I ordered a GFB hybrid BOV and installed it today. Ran great for first run @ prob 60% atm. I had a 45 min ride home, got off my exit and it stalled at a light. I started noticed the backfiring. Pulled over and went to like 30% atm. Ran better but still backfiring when going over 4,000 rpms. Got home and put it to prob 10 or 15% atm. Don't hear any backfiring. Seems to be OK. My question is will my ECU learn after a little while to reduce my A/F ratio so I can run it at 50% atm (don't feel the need to go more than that, loud enough)? Also, just bought Invidia catless divorced DP and Cobb AP. Will the AP adjust my A/F ratio to help or will it increase my fuel when I move to stage 2 making this a bigger problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

man show 01-30-2013 08:40 PM

Try putting the stock bpv back on and I bet your problems will disappear.

Your ecu can't learn to function properly with a bov.

Also, welcome!

RickyTurbo11 01-30-2013 09:17 PM

Well I can set it back to fully recirc if need be since its a GFB hybrid. Just bummed I spent $250 and I wont get the psssshhhh. Lesson learned I guess. Is it bad if I keep it to fully recirc and just switch it back for a short drive if i wanna hear it and then switch it back or will I face some issues like fuel flooding over time?

06_hawk_eye 01-30-2013 09:52 PM

If you want the pssshhhhhh sound maybe you can buy a turbo honda.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

RickyTurbo11 01-30-2013 10:11 PM

I'd rather walk than trade my subaru for a honda. I'll live without the sound. Just wanted to know how to make it work. Sounds like a dyno tune is my only option.

man show 01-30-2013 10:23 PM

Certain intakes will give you some of the hissing sound you're looking for. I'm not fully versed on the topic, but third generation cars (08-13) seem to accept aftermarket intakes better than second generation (02-07).

Your best bet for now is to sell the GFB bov, install the dp, and flash to Stage 2 with your AP. The dp and Stage 2 reflash alone will up the boost and allow you to hear more fun under-hood noises. There might be an intake that works well with Cobb's ots Stage 2 map on your car - just do a little research before you buy.

brfatal 01-31-2013 12:45 AM

[quote=RickyTurbo11;290241]I'd rather walk than trade my subaru for a honda. I'll live without the sound. Just wanted to know how to make it work. Sounds like a dyno tune is my only option.[/quote]

A dyno tune won't make it stop running rich either. The only way to do that is to run 100% recirc.

If you're stalling you're leaking. GFB valves are incredibly notorious for it, but chances are it's because you never adjusted it or didn't installed it properly.

You made a poor investment. Lesson learned. I'd suggest moving forward by uninstalling it and getting a better recirculating valve when it comes time to go stage 2 (many people find the stock plastic valves won't hold under the boost levels people are seeing at stage 2).

the RIOT act 01-31-2013 06:16 AM

Like the guys said, sticking with a BPV is a must. I did a lot of research on forums and talked with multiple tunes shops before buying mine, and decided to go with Forge's BPV to accompany my stage 2 setup. Comes in chrome or black and sounds sick even only being a BPV. So with that, your DP, and your AP you'll be good to go. I also got a CAI before getting tuned. It's not something you have to have with stage 2 but it def brings your engine bay to life!! I can clearly hear turbo spool and my intake hard at work with every gear. You could also do the "silencer delete" which will also give you some good sound. Hope this helped. But even if your AP won't accompany an intake properly, like mentioned the 3rd gens do take intakes pretty well without setting off CEL's. my friend has a 2012 with nothing but an intake on it and it still has no CEL's and he's not tuned in any way. This is not recommended by me though as it doesn't mean your car isn't running rich non the less. Pro dyno tune will fix all issues though...just a though over an AP.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color]

brfatal 01-31-2013 10:34 AM

[quote=the RIOT act;290249]Like the guys said, sticking with a BPV is a must. I did a lot of research on forums and talked with multiple tunes shops before buying mine, and decided to go with Forge's BPV to accompany my stage 2 setup. Comes in chrome or black and sounds sick even only being a BPV. So with that, your DP, and your AP you'll be good to go. I also got a CAI before getting tuned. It's not something you have to have with stage 2 but it def brings your engine bay to life!! I can clearly hear turbo spool and my intake hard at work with every gear. You could also do the "silencer delete" which will also give you some good sound. Hope this helped. But even if your AP won't accompany an intake properly, like mentioned the 3rd gens do take intakes pretty well without setting off CEL's. my friend has a 2012 with nothing but an intake on it and it still has no CEL's and he's not tuned in any way. This is not recommended by me though as it doesn't mean your car isn't running rich non the less. Pro dyno tune will fix all issues though...just a though over an AP.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color][/quote]

His model year does not have a silencer to delete.

Having a CEL or not is not indicative of how well something works. My old Dastek Unichip (the precursor to the precursor of the Cobb AP v1 ROFL) was having issues so I ran an APS 70mm (oversized) intake untuned for a few months and it never threw a CEL. The only way definitely say there are no issues is to log. And from observation it actually seems that 3Gs take LESS well do various intake than previous GD models.

the RIOT act 01-31-2013 11:29 AM

No silencer in the front bumper huh? They change way too much all the time with Subarus lol! And yeah like I said, my friends 3G does fine with not throwing a CEL but its obv not good to do without a tune.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color]

RickyTurbo11 01-31-2013 12:19 PM

Thanks guys. I might consider selling it down the road but for now I'm running it fully recirculating and it sounds pretty good like that an running normal again. As far as stalling it only happened once and I think it was because I reved high and then came to a red light quick with the bov 80% open and I put in the clutch and came to a quick stop. Idk if that had anything to do with it but haven't had a problem stalling since and I closed my bov to 30% and all I'm gettin is the small backfire. Regardless it's fully recirculating now and if I wanna hear it for a quick drive I can adjust it and put it back after. I don't think there's a leak at all. You'd have to b pretty horrible if u screw up puttin the bov on.

pzr2874 01-31-2013 12:30 PM

The maintainence is what most ppl forget about and by the time they figure THAT out... it's too late.

RickyTurbo11 01-31-2013 12:53 PM

The maintenance on the bov rite? Not a problem. I work at a Subaru dealership

rex2002 01-31-2013 05:58 PM

do like i did, i put a cobb intake on there and ive got the sound now, even louder than before. im also running with the stock bypass. works and sounds great. i def get a lot of head turns when she shifts

RickyTurbo11 01-31-2013 06:07 PM

Nice. Thanks. That's my plan. I'm just gonna keep my gfb hybrid anyway n keep it to fully recirculate