Running really bad and can't figure it out... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
Running really bad and can't figure it out...

I have a 2004 wrx. I got the car about six months ago. after about 1 month the CEL came on; it was the air/fuel ratio sensor. It ran good for about another month, then it started to run like the same sensor was bad, but this time got no code for it, so it was not replaced.

-It's showing codes for running rich, and intermitent missfires on various cylinders.
-It will not rev past 4k more or less. It falls right on it's face. Going uphill its even worse.
-black smoke puffs when it hits about 4k.
-only 7psi of boost
-sometimes it idles rough.
-temp and humidity change effect it.

mods that I know of:
-K&N typhoon intake
-atmospheric BOV (that is rusted shut)
-apexi autotimer (that does not work)

things we have tried:
-new BOV (it made no difference at all, except for the sound)
-tried manual bc (made about 12psi, but problems were still there)
-checked voltage to boost selenoid (was okay)
-cleaned MAF
-Cobb AP stage 1 (nade no difference)

i'm going to put new plugs in it and checking the coils.
I noticed that a wire that goes into the exhaust pipe in front of the turbo is kinda loose. it has a metal housing on it where goes onto the pipe. maybe it supposed to be like that i'm not sure. the other end of the wires plug into the housing up near the boost selenoid. it looks like a temp or O2 sensor.

The dealer said they can't fix it because they don't know the problem is. My tuner is trying to avoid the old "lets start replacing parts until we fix it" routine. Has anybody had something like this happen to them?

It's really bugging me because i can't really drive the car, it barely goes 65 on the highway.

Thanks.

Last edited by Squamr; 07-30-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Ya thats the front O2 sensor in the ex mani. Go on nasioc.com and find a used stock wrx bpv and put that on with a new gasket. Remove the mbc all together and put that back to stock bcs. Check the plugs and coil packs, as well as inspecting all vacuum lines. After you've done all this reset the ECU. Sometimes loose coilpacks, a lightened flywheel, or a lightened crank pulley can cause random misfires (aside from the plugs alone). Sounds like a few problems. Let us know what happens.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#3 Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

sfelix818 is more helpful than not
You might have sucked up a piece of your stock up-pipe cat into the turbo. Your car is more likely in limp mode due to turbo issue.
#4 Old 07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
I changed the plugs and checked the coil pack connections. 3 of the old plugs were light gray and 1 of them was black. I also left the battery unplugged for quite a while.

It is running better up to the 4k range, then it starts misfiring badly again.

I'm going to order a new bpv and maybe another stock bcs.

The clutch shudders sometimes during engagement, which makes me think it may have a high perfromance clutch. So, it might have a lightened flywheel also.

I inspected the hoses and vacuum lines and nothing seemed loose or disconnected.
But, is there a way to properly check for a vacuum leak?
#5 Old 07-31-2008, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

If you have access to an air compressor, do a search on nasioc for boost leak test and there's a how to with pics. You probably have a lightened FW and clutch that isn't stock.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#6 Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

REDCHARGE is an unknown
UM ?.....You might be running rich due to your bov!!!!.......The car came with a RBV !!! Is the car tuned for a BOV ? Your blowing off metered air and running rich !
To do a boost leak check.........heres a home made example !!!! .........DIY boost leak tester (pics): KA24ET / KA24DET Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub
#7 Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamr View Post
I changed the plugs and checked the coil pack connections. 3 of the old plugs were light gray and 1 of them was black.
i may be wrong, but i think there should be 2 black and 2 grey plugs. the black ones go on the rearward coilpack. on the third grey one i would pull back the wire loom and see if someone spliced that plug on there, if so the connection may be loose.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#8 Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
You are correct, there are 2 black and 2 gray connectors, the gray in the front and the black in the rear. But I was refering to the actual spark plugs.
Is it a red flag to have 1 cylinder running richer than the others on a wrx? It was the right hand rear cylinder; I'm still a noob with the wrx, but trying to learn.

Thanks guys.
#9 Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

its not uncommon to have one cyl get more fuel than the rest. I forgot the layout in the boxer (having a brain fart) so it could be the one that gets fuel 1st.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#10 Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamr View Post
You are correct, there are 2 black and 2 gray connectors, the gray in the front and the black in the rear. But I was refering to the actual spark plugs.
oh, my bad.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#11 Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
Just an update to the diagnosis.

I brought the car to ESP in Sterling, MA and they are currently going through it. So far they only found that the restrictor pill was missing; (that must be why it was only making 7 psi)? Tomorrow they are going to check the injectors.

I'll keep you all posted on the process.
#12 Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That probably would cause a pretty weird boost....missing the pill. I think some one else just did something simular...might've put the pill on the wrong side of the T and had problems. Yeah man, let us know. Its always good to have ideas for the next person.
#13 Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Please update asap man, mines running rough too, similar symptoms. Give and take a few. Thanks
#14 Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
Yeah! The problem has been found!

MODIFIED FUEL INJECTORS where the culprit. They appear stock from the outside, but they are not; they were letting in way too much fuel once it went into Open-loop. They put in some stock injectors and it's now tunable. They didn't want to cut back on the fuel tune without knowing what size injectors were in it. Mike at ESP is going to Dyno tune the car tomorrow, and I should be picking it up Thursday. I'll post more info on here once I have all the details.

So...BEWARE when you buy a used WRX, you just never what the previous owner did to it.
#15 Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Great to hear you found the problem. Best of luck to you with the tune and all.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"