Subaru WRX Forum banner

Running real bad

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gaz123 
#1 ·
I'm tired, I'll give you the quick version. I posted when I first got the car how about 1 out of 10 times when I start from a stop, the car will fall on it's face for a second and then after a second it'll rev up and go. This persisted through a rebuild, so it had to be parts I reused or mapping.

In the last couple months, I started throwing a code for a bad TGV input, p1096 I think. Now when it's cold, it really falls on it's face. If I just floor the gas without being in gear (or in gear) it sputters, backfires once or twice, then revs out. It's a good 2 or 3 seconds before it starts revving. This happens maybe 3 out of 10 times when warm. It also runs jerky and crappy until I hit boost, and even then in boost maybe one out of 20 times the engine will cut 2 or 3 times quickly and jerk. But it seems to run way better in boost.

I ripped apart the manifold today and the TGV's are in the open position, so they are not stuck closed. Whether the computer is holding them closed I cannot say, but that was my theory. I thought something was making them stay closed not allowing air in, and when in boost it was enough pressure to push it open. My tuner agreed this was a definite possibility.

As I said, the valves are in the open position when removed. My theory was that they were stuck closed. Should I bother with the DIY delete on the off chance the ECU is on the fritz and holding one or more closed? Any other suggestions while I have it this far apart?

See less See more
#3 ·
FIXED

I took my car into my tuner to have the stock up pipe and exhaust manifold put on a week ago since my invidia had a bad leak (I was lazy and I hate trying to get the bolts off the turbo.) The tech left my O2 cord on the ground and forgot to plug it in, so I unknowingly road hauled it. As I was double checking my hoses and connectors from the aforementioned TGV inspection, I saw my O2 was unplugged. I looked for the cord and found my O2 sensor with 1/8th inch of bare wires coming out of it. So I got a free O2 sensor out of the deal, and that fixed it. I was not happy when I found that though...

#4 ·
im having a problem with my tgv aswell but my left hand one is stuck open, if i hit the redline my car drops into limp mode and has no boost, its a real pain, i have a catless down pipe on mine so do you think its possible that the second o2 sensor is fcuked or is sensing high emisions and thats why its happening

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.