Subaru WRX Forum banner

rubber seal on front busted open..?

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 ·
Ok so I apologize for the vague title but I'm not even sure what this seal is attached to. Tie rod? Well either way, I have just replaced my headers and up pipe! YAY! Right? Well it was cool until I started hearing a weird sound from the right side (where the seal is busted) so that was my first test drive since replacing the parts.

So bottom line I guess what is this seal and how ####ed am I this time? The wastegate was BARLEY touching it and I guess maybe melted it? I'm not sure.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hard man, finally get my WRX back on the street to park with another problem! So do you think I need a new axle as well? Also is there like a smaller boot i can get for it so it wont be touching the wastegate?

Thanks for reply, sorry for frustration, I've just been slaving over this car for the last like 3 nights trying to get everything done and I come back with a new problem.

#8 ·
Yaaa thats my issue, its not the dump tube that burned it, the actual wastegate which is obviously welded onto my new up pipe is what is touching it. I really really dont want to have to get a new up pipe. Because if thats the case im ditching the external wastegate. Not taking a chance of someone welding it in a bad place again. Sad part is I took it to a shop that a reputable tuning shop in Dallas apparently takes all there shit to get welded.

#12 ·
Welp fu(k me man and the people who welded that shit. So can I buy a grimmspeed and attach it to my prosport headers? I did all this to avoid a retune and all this crazy bullshit. I'm about to flip shit. Think I'm gonna go with Grimmspeed up pipe then. Will my current TIAL Wastegate fit on a grimmspeed?

#17 ·
Mine is the Tial liquid cooled wastegate. I'm not sure how much it drops temps or if it is enough to keep from melting anything but using that is an option if you have it . I did the throttlebody coolant bypass mod and robbed coolant from there for my wastegate when I did it. I use the grimmspeed pipes with no problems. Pretty much most reputable aftermarket set ups have been tested and proven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.