RPM Dropping - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drunkenmonke is an unknown
RPM Dropping

Hey, I had a quick question which I'm assuming is a tuning issue but I'll throw it out there as I'm new to the turbo/wrx community:

Every once in a while, while driving if I shift from first or second or whatever gear to neutral, my rpm's will drop below normal engine idle (1k rpm about), to about 500 rpm's, then jump back up to about 1k rpm, occasionally it will go really low (I've had my car die on me twice in 8 months so it doesn't die often), I'm assuming this is a tuning issue and right now I'm running EcuTek so assuming I'd need a tune I'm looking at getting a different ECU as well because the tuners for ecutek are few and far between for me) If I were to get a new ECU any recommendations that aren't horribly expensive? Thanks, Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Maybe you just need a tune up ?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
just try opensource with rom raider they have a new thing thats safer than ecutek i cant think what it is now
post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drunkenmonke is an unknown
I do know I need a new airfilter but can't find any to fit my intake (it's an hks, tried 7 diff places including k&n's website as well as looking up the code on the filter), I guess I'll just start by replacing plugs, injector cleaner, new intake kit (or if i can find the filter), and an oil change, thanks for the advice guys... also where can I pick up a stock ECU so I can try open source?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Sometimes making a drive to any authorized ecutek dealer to unlock your ecu will be cheaper than buying a new one. Might be worth the drive for you.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
+1 to Baller. I'd recommend using RomRaider, it's inexpensive and it's now capable of speed density tuning...

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I believe cobb offers a service where you ship in your ecu and they will unlock it for a fee

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You need to list all you moddifications,especially if you have a atmospheric BOV or aftermarket intake as these can both cause idle issues (dirty MAF or leaking BOV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 crazy taxi
I'd recommend using RomRaider, it's inexpensive and it's now capable of speed density tuning...
Where are you seeing this?There is currently a test patch for the 32 bit ECU's and not currently supported by Romraider,but nothing for the 16 bit ECU's as the OP has a 03 WRX.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Where are you seeing this?There is currently a test patch for the 32 bit ECU's and not currently supported by Romraider,but nothing for the 16 bit ECU's as the OP has a 03 WRX.
I was delirious after a really long day when I posted. I've been talking with my tuner about a new software package and had originally assumed it was RomRaider.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug