Subaru WRX Forum banner

Reduced Pull at Higher RPM?

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  scottay 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First off, I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 WRX hatchback, purchased it over the weekend (5/11).

This may or may not be a problem, but it seems like the car pulls pretty good until about 4-4.5K then lets off a bit. I thought I remembered it continuing to pull hard past that. It's not like it totally drops off, it just seems to let off when I thought I remembered it continuing through.

I've only got 450 miles on the thing, did I bust something? I'm really not driving it that hard - I'm quick off the line (### it's fun) and have taken it on some of the mountain roads, but I'm not drag racing or rally racing (..yet).

I've seen other posts with somewhat similar issues, but not on a brand new car.

One thought I have is my last tank of gas was cheapy gas, although still 91. I did start noticing it today, and i filled up last night.

Another thought is maybe I'm getting use to the pull, but I'm not totally sure this is it. I'm pretty in tune with how my cars feel and usually notice very subtle differences in performance.

I appreciate any feedback.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Take it easy for the first 1k or so ok. Def stay away from redline that's for sure. But I felt my stock tune die off around 5.5k rpm and since getting a tune it kicks in much sooner and pulls much harder through the rpm range. Getting a tune of sorts should be in the near future as it'll bring that thing to life. And you absolutely wanna stay with premium gas ONLY as running anything else will create many problems down the road.

I'd say enjoy the rest of the 1k break in period and do some research on tuning to stage 1 with an AP or take yourself past that with mods and protuning. What's you modding plans anyways?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
The car should still pull pretty well to 5500 or so, then really fall on its face.
That's exactly what I'm seeing. I guess I'm just use to it now so I notice the drop off...

I don't intend to heavily mod, but I do have a few things in mind:

AP first and foremost. I've heard great things about it.

Next I want to address the suspension, so sway bars and endlinks, if I can afford it spring and shocks too. If not, I'll do the sways first, then shocks/springs next.

I initially wanted to do a Cobb Intake, but after reading on this forum I've come to the conclusion that this will wait a while.

I'm leasing the car, so I don't know how much I'm "allowed" to do to the car. Anyone know if there's any real difference between lease and buy as far as what I can do? I know the warranty stuff I'll have to talk to the dealer about, and most likely I'll revert to stock tune with the AP before taking it into the shop.

#5 ·
Nice mod route IMO. With what you're saying an AP def sounds like the right tune path for you. The suspension and shifter are hands down must do's before any real power is introduced though I agree and glad to see you've done some research. Don't forget about your shifter/bushings though.

As far as leasing you're technically not suppose to make any mods to it but as long as they get it back with all OE things in place there should be no problem.

#6 ·
RE the lease, ya that's what I figured. Come end of lease I'll figure out if I'm keeping the car or selling it. That's 3.5 yrs off, so for now I'm gonna enjoy the damn thing, they can kiss my behind...

Mine came with the stock short throw shifter kit, should I still look into any shifter stuff?

Think Cobb would be a good way to go for springs/sways/etc?

#7 ·
As far as the shifter goes, the SPT isn't the best by any means but suitable for a DD application. I'd absolutely still look into replacing the bushing with a kit from TiC though!

And with sways, Cobb makes some nice stuff but they're a bit pricey right up there with Cusco. For a DD application something from Eibach or Whiteline would be sufficient IMO. Just make sure you do your links along with the sways!

#9 ·
When it comes to links I personally recommend a non-adjustable setup unless you're looking to get aggressive with your suspension. Adjustables are just a PITA. Kartboy or Cusco links would be my choice.

I'd recommend not exceeding a 1" drop though like you're already thinking. Anything more and you'll be hating yourself later with premature repairs of all sorts unless you're going with a 2k+ coil over setup...which you def don't need unless tracking of some sort. Eibach or H&R would be a good choice IMO for just springs.

#10 ·
How about a brand for struts/shocks? I have struts, right? The second question might make some of you chuckle...

What would be a really nice spring and strut combo for a 1" or less drop and firmer feel?

I put the basic Eibach Sport Kit with KYB struts on the first car I bought... a 2000 Hyandia Accent GS. It also had strut and sway bars, bushings, and a stripped interior. Those mods alone turned 93hp into some of the best driving experiences I've ever had.

Enjoy the WRX, OP! It looks like we're on a very similar mod path!

#11 ·
Thanks VaughanJer!

I'd also be very interested is some input on which spring/shock combo would give great performance without dropping more than an inch... preferably 0.5" or less... My city is full of monster speed bumps and steep driveway entranced. And seeing as how I do on-site IT services and this is my DD I don't want to always be stressing about banging up my fenders on peoples driveways.

#13 ·
Cool, thanks. I'll look into that.

Also, more to the point of this actual topic, I've noticed that when I hit the higher RPM's I get a little bit of a hissing sound sometimes. I haven't really noticed that before, and is most prevalent in 3rd/4th gear (maybe 5th, haven't hit 4K in 5th yet, lol). Could I have a leak or something, or is this normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.