Recall! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

WizzD is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WizzD
Recall!

Hey guys. Just wanted to let everyone know there is a RECALL on our WRX. I just got my notice in the mail yesterday and have my appointment set up with the dealer for tomorrow. Here is the issue:

NHTSA Campaign ID: 04V128000
Component: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables
Manufacturer: Subaru Of America, Inc.

Year: 2002-2004
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza WRX 2.0L
Recall Date: 03/10/2004

Potential Number of Units Affected: 127,580

Defect Summary:
On certain passenger sedans, wagons, and sport utility vehicles, the cruise control cable could come out of its track on the cruise control lever and lodge on the control lever tab when the accelerator pedal is released. If this condition occurs, the throttle will not return to the idle position but remain in an open position.
Consequence Summary:
If this occurs during vehicle operation, the driver could lose control of the vehicle, which could result in a crash.
Corrective Summary:
Dealers will install a cruise control cable retaining clip to the cruise control lever tab on the throttle shaft in order to prevent the cruise control cable from coming out of its track. Owner notification is expected to begin during April 2004. Owners should contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783.

Subaru of America, Inc. Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Six Cylinder Outbacks and 2002, 2003, and 2004 Impreza WRX Vehicles

CHERRY HILL, N.J., March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. today announced a voluntary recall on certain 2001-2004 six cylinder Outback models, and 2002-2004 Impreza WRX 2.0L models to address a possible cruise control cable problem.

This recall involves certain 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 model year Subaru Outback H-6 3.0L and Impreza WRX 2.0L turbo vehicles. The potentially affected Outback vehicles were produced at Subaru Indiana Automotive, Inc. between March 15, 2000 and February 19, 2004, and the Impreza WRX vehicles were produced at Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. between September 5, 2000 and February 12, 2004. Approximately 127,580 vehicles are potentially affected.

It is possible for the cruise control cable to come out of its track on the cruise control throttle lever and lodge on the control lever tab when the accelerator pedal is released. If this condition occurs, the throttle will not return to the idle position and instead remain in an open position. This condition could occur at any time without prior notice and control of the vehicle could be affected.

Although we believe the percentage of vehicles likely to actually experience the failure is very low, a cruise control cable retaining clip will be installed on all potentially affected vehicles. The cruise control cable retaining clip will be fitted to the cruise control lever tab on the throttle shaft in order to prevent the cruise control cable from coming out of its track.

The campaign was launched as a result of Subaru field inspections and quality assurance testing. There have been no accidents or injuries attributed to this problem.

In early April, we will notify all owners of potentially affected vehicles of this potential problem by first class mail and ask them to contact their dealer to arrange a service appointment to have the cruise control cable retaining clip installed at no charge to the owner. We will also advise owners in the notification letter of the action to take if they encounter this condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Re: Recall!

Quote:
Originally posted by WizzD

Subaru of America, Inc. Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Six Cylinder Outbacks and 2002, 2003, and 2004 Impreza WRX Vehicles

CHERRY HILL, N.J., March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. today announced a voluntary recall on certain 2001-2004 six cylinder Outback models, and 2002-2004 Impreza WRX 2.0L models to address a possible cruise control cable problem.

The campaign was launched as a result of Subaru field inspections and quality assurance testing. There have been no accidents or injuries attributed to this problem.

Now this is the difference between Japanese brands and domestics! When have you seen the Big 3 Voluntarily recall anything? And the idea of them doin filed inspections. They'd never dream of it. How many lawsuits did it take before Ford was forced to recall all those cars with the firestarter ignitions?

This is why the foreign companies earn my dollars when I buy a car. They actually care after the sale. They WANT you to buy another car from them.
#3 Old 04-25-2004, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Newbie is an unknown
Question

Could someone please post a description/photo of this fix when they get it done? I don't feel like takin mine to the dealer. This sounds like a fairly simple fix. Perhaps a wire tie would work?

Thanks

Regards
#4 Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

WizzD is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WizzD
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
Could someone please post a description/photo of this fix when they get it done? I don't feel like takin mine to the dealer. This sounds like a fairly simple fix. Perhaps a wire tie would work?

Thanks
Why take the chance? It took like 20min. at the dealer. A recall isn't a D.I.Y. situation in my opinion.
#5 Old 05-01-2004, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
no offense but my parents had an 01 intrepid and they sent us 2 or 3 recalls. and people with focus 's always got thiers as far as ive heard. even though i hate them both.... just junk to me.
#6 Old 05-01-2004, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Newbie is an unknown
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by WizzD

Why take the chance? It took like 20min. at the dealer. A recall isn't a D.I.Y. situation in my opinion.
I don't know how long it will take at my dealership. They may want to keep the car overnight. They may want to drive it to go get their lunch. They may want to put over 100 miles on it. They may let it sit overnight, not even touch it, and charge the repair back to the manufacturer as a warranty item. They may break something else. They may replace a component with an inferior part because it is cheaper.

As unbelievable as these things sound, they have all happened to me at various dealerships in the past. I work in the automotive industry for an automotive manufacturer. I frequently deal with recall/warranty issues. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I trust myself more than I trust ANY car dealership. As an amateur mechanic, don't you trust yourself more than a dealership? I just want to see what the fix is. I do not have access to the Subaru Service Bulletins. Let's just say that I'm from Missouri - the "show me" State. Sorry if this sounds like a rant - it isn't. I just want to see it before I decide what I am going to do. So, if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Regards