RECALL: 02-03 WRX Fuel Leak - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Exclamation RECALL: 02-03 WRX Fuel Leak

Not sure if it has been posted here yet so here goes...

Subaru has finally recalled the leaking fuel line issue on the 02-03 WRX for a select number of cold weather states. From the recall:

12/09 2002-2003 WRX cold weather fuel line seep In cold weather, certain 02/03 WRXs may have fuel line seep. Only app 5724 cars are affected by this in 16 cold weather states - Ak, Co, Io, Id, Me, Mi, Mn, Mt, Ne, ND, SD NH, NY, Vt, Wi, Wy. There will be a warranty extension for this particular issue for the remaining 34 states. #WVK-21

I guess just call the dealer to find out if your particular vehicle is affected and you should be able to get a free fix on it.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

bugeyebandit is an unknown
I have this problem in my New to me 02 Wagon. I read about the recall yesterday while reading up on the problem. So I called my local dealership to see about getting it fixed. The person I talked to said that my WRX was NOT part of the recall. That my VIN numbers did not show up.. I pretty upset about it. The smell is not good for my preggo wife. ughhhh!!
#3 Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To me it seems that if your car has this problem, they should have to fix it since it's obviously an issue.

-Chris
#4 Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

I am going to call corporate today to see if they can straighten this out.
#5 Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

HOCKEYSCOOB2 is an unknown
no this is wrong, the maker of the lines and seals are the same for ALL 02-03 wrx's no matter the vin of your car. i live in texas and i have the fuel line seepage but texas is not on the recall list.
subaru should fix this regardless where you live, if you have the problem in texas or in michigan you still have the problem.
i am calling corprate today.
#6 Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fonix is an unknown
Related to the Recall.

I brought my 57k 02 wrx into the dealer yesterday to get this fixed. Today I have a check engine light. I noticed a lot of hoses and lines have been rerouted and several hoses are in direct contact with hot surfaces.

This obviously doesnt seem right and it would be a hell of a coincidence for CEL to come on a day after the repair.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does the replacement part force rerouting of hoses? Im going back to the dealer tonight, should I find a new dealer?
#7 Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What is the CEL? You need to get it read to even know if it is related or not.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYSCOOB2 View Post
no this is wrong, the maker of the lines and seals are the same for ALL 02-03 wrx's no matter the vin of your car. i live in texas and i have the fuel line seepage but texas is not on the recall list.
subaru should fix this regardless where you live, if you have the problem in texas or in michigan you still have the problem.
i am calling corprate today.
Did you get a hold of them.. I still dont have any answers.
#9 Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fonix is an unknown
I got a call this morning from dealer, he said it was a EVAP code and my car is all set. The hose is now routed properly. I was in class so I wasnt able to get details on the code or anything else. The first thing I checked was if my gas cap was loose when the cel came on so I assume it was associated with the repair.

Would sensors catch a fuel leak if the recall lines were not installed properly, if a leak associated with those parts were the cause for the recall without throwing on the CEL?