Rear thumping noise!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

souverbielle is an unknown
Rear thumping noise!!!

Alright so i bought my 04 STi back in early 07. Im fairly new to the WRX scene, but anyways back to my prob. Well when I drive my car under 20mph there is a loud thumping noise in the rear. I thought it couldve just been something loose in the trunk. I checked and everything was secure, took out the spare and no go!!!! The car doesnt vibrate or anything. Just that loud thumping noise. Once I go over 20 then it goes away.Has anyone else had this problem? I need HELP!! !Cry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Be more specific. Constant thumping, when your turning, where exactly does it sound like its coming from in the rear?

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Actually it doesnt matter wether im turning or going straight. I was wondering if maybe one of my struts might be loose or in need of being replaced. Like i said under 20 you can hear it inside the cabin but over that speed there is no sound.
post #4 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

mackster is an unknown
I have the same noise On my 05 STI. I am thinking it is the stiffer bushing.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I've never had a loud thumping noise during normal 20mph or lower driving. Just words of wisdom....don't have the DCCD on "lock" when backing up or you hear tons of noise from trying to make a fully engaged rear diff go in reverse. Granted occasionally it might make a thud or two when pulling out and turning...but i think that is the rear diff semi locked and it unlocking when i turn. Normally I keep the DCCD on auto unless it's crappy out. Then I will normally put it on "lock".
post #6 of 25 Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

RentForSale is an unknown
Midget hiding under the car ?

-NICK-
post #7 of 25 Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yea Im going to check out the DCCD and mess around with it for a while. Im thinking it very well could be my struts. Well Im going to keep checking but might end up taking it into Subaru since I got a warranty on it. (No midget in car)
post #8 of 25 Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

LogansLost is an unknown
i'm experiencing the exact same noise described (sounds like loose spare tire, dead body in trunk, midget hiding under car, etc.) at low speeds in my '02 WRX. anybody ever figure out what the problem is?
post #9 of 25 Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
This is most likely a problem with your rear suspension. If you can get under the car check your rear struts and sway bar mounts.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
I am also hearing this wretched sound. I looked under the car, on the sides of the car... Then I popped the trunk and as it turns out the guy that sold me the car threw in a complimentary trunk monkey.

No but seriously I do have that sound (I've had the car for 2 weeks, asked the old owner about it and he said he didn't know, but it always pissed him off), I also pulled out the spare tire, everything in the trunk, shook my exhaust, and nothing... Next steps for me are to jack it up and take a peek underneath and at all the suspension components in the rear. I'll let you guys know if I find anything, do the same for me...

I was thinking it's an 04 STI malfunction, but have seen a few people in this thread and others complain about the same issue with the std WRX and other year STI's.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
Well, just now I jacked the car up in the rear, no loose suspension parts and nothing that could possibly make that noise underneath. The guy that owned the car before me had that satallite radio installed and ran his antennae to the rear. I'm thinking when they wired it the didn't put something back together. It almost sounds like it's coming from in between the rear seat and trunk seperator. I'm taking off the rear seat, this noise is annoying. I will let you know if I find something in there causing it.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Is it the rear diff hitting the bottom of the trunk? These cars are notorious for that.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #13 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
That's only during a hard shift. Sounds like they are hearing the notorious strut clunk.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #14 of 25 Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Oh ok. I havent experienced either yet. I just know that both of them are notorious in the subies for some reason.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 25 Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
That's only during a hard shift. Sounds like they are hearing the notorious strut clunk.
Suppose this is the "notorious strut clunk"... What does one do to resolve this problem.

Also, I removed my rear seat and found the trunk seperator board (unsure of technical name) was loose and slightly rattling against the vertical seat supports so I zip tied it off, see pic below... Stopped one noise, still have another.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement