Rattle Under Dash - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jimmydaux is an unknown
Rattle Under Dash

Sup Subbie Peeps.
Ive got an 02 Wrx and am about to kill myself when I drive it other than its so dang fun. There is a rattle noise that is RPM induced coming from under the dash. I went all sherlock holmes on it trying to find the culprit, but couldn't pin point it. The only thing Ive found is that it has something to do with the clutch pedal because ill push it in a bit when the rattle starts and it will either lessen or go away. I don't think its from the pedal itself, but maybe a mount or bolt or something of the sort. If anyone can help that would be freakin amazing. I'm getting quite frustrated with it. Thanks in advance.

Jimmydaux!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2006, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
i have been experiencing the same damn thing and can't figure it out niether.
#3 Old 02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Try looking for it here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898929

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 02-17-2006, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

definately not a window thing. it only happens when my car isn't hot and it is in second gear and sometimes third at around 2500-3000 and on. kinda sound like an air leak but it isn't so maybe it's the clutch. don't know maybe some one hear does.
#5 Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jimmydaux is an unknown
I looked on that thread from NASIOC, thanks by the way, but they dont seem to have the same rattle listed. Im going to figure it out one way or another =) hopefully someone can help so I dont have to tear my dash apart.
#6 Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

mine is definately not under the dash. it like an air leak but i don't think it is. it is a rattle but is caused when i am in second and third and on it while the turbo is spooling. it very well may be a loose bolt or heat sheild some where and it kinda sounds like it is under the dash because the engine compartment is in the same direction.
#7 Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jimmydaux is an unknown
I have it narrowed down now. I sprawled out under the dash to find the rattle, and found out that it was the shaft going from the clutch pedal into the clutch master cylinder. I know thats what it is, but dont have any idea how to fix it without replacing the master. Disconnecting it from the pedal and wiggling it around either made it worse or made it go away depending on the position it was in. If anyone has any ideas that would be fantabulous.
#8 Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

do you get the rattle all the time. cause i only get mine when it isn't completely warmed up. if i drive my car without even warming it up which i never do it makes more rattle but once it is wamr i don't get it anymore.
#9 Old 02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jimmydaux is an unknown
Yeah mine goes whenever. Its caused by engine vibration in either acceleration or deceleration. I looked at prices to replace it and they are 90 dollars so that might end up being an expensive rattle
#10 Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

yours sounds like something different than mine. i am convinced that mine is an air leak before the turbo. keep me informed of your progress though.
#11 Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jimmydaux is an unknown
Rattle Is Dead! I pulled the clutch master cylinder and packed the plunger end full of grease to hopefully try and prevent metal on metal and bless my lucky stars it worked. I was sooo relieved.
#12 Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
A little ingenuity... way to go saved yourself 90 bucks

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#13 Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Final Clutch is an unknown
i have an issue that is "rattle" connected: I own a bone stock 05 WRX and i love it...

normal driving at all speeds i have no problems. But probably 50% of the times i go WOT, pedal to the metal driving i will hear a metallic rattle around 5K on the Tach. It sounds like it is coming from the engine bay. Now i am new to turbos so i hope it isnt my turbo rattling. I feel no lack of power but i don't have a boost gauge so i can't tell. Also im pretty sure its not misfire or predetonation because my CEL never comes on nor blinks. Again sometimes i hear it. Sometimes its not there. Kinda annoying like a heat shield is loose. For a while i thought it was the packing in my 3 cats. haha. O well... thanks guys..
#14 Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I've got a ghetto solution.... Turn up your stereo....
Seriously if it bothers you that much. Take it in to the dealer.... Use that warranty....

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#15 Old 03-17-2006, 06:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

i had the same noise coming from my engine bay too. I took the heatsheild over the exhaust manifold off and found my uppipe leaking where it meets the manifold. So i used a gasket sealer to seal it off and so far so good. sound like your uppipe as leaking too. check it out. look on the manifold where the gasket and flange would be blowing air on it. if it is leaking there will be black residue on the manifold.