Problems with my Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Problems with my Wrx

Hi guys,

I recently just bought an 06 wrx that has a full exhaust with not cats on it yet (But in 2 weeks im getting them put back on) with a stage 2 cluth and a turbo timer. So basically the "Check Engine" light is on but that is due to not having the cats on. Now the cruise control light is flashing on me. Well today I notice by the button to pop the hood, there was a green wire hanging lose that had been disconnected from other wire. Well i decided to connect it and I turned the car on and the cruise control light went off but then the check engine light started blinking at me. Well when this happen, the inside of my car really started to smell like gas, and then when my car was idling at a stop light, the rpms would really spike up above 1 and go up and down on its own. It almost sounded like the car was about to die but wasnt and then i didnt have the speed like i did before hooking up the wire. It was almost like I didnt have a turbo. Well I went to autozone and they told me it was ### the car wasnt getting enough air. Well when i got home i unclipped the cruise control wire again and turned on the car and the car ran fine like it should be but then it was back to the cruise control light blinking and the check engine light just on. Ive done some research but I cant find anything like this. Can someone help me out and let me know what you think it could be ### I didnt wanna pay alot of money on this car and then it just die on me.

Thanks for your guys help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Did you get the code(s) read? With the cruise light/CEL light(s) on there should be codes stored that can be read and give you a place to start your looking or replacing. Have you tried getting in contact with the previous owner about the wire and what it was like that for?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Not yet im going to Subaru tomorrow but I know they will charge me alot to do it. Kinda why I was asking on here to see if anyone had a clue what it could be. Do you think maybe autozone could read the codes? Nah thats not really an option i dont think ### the car was sold to this dealer at an auction. Maybe I can ask them if they can get some info on the previous owner

** Also I just went to Autozone and they picked up the codes... They are:

P0137
P0140
P2096

Now I know these codes have to do with the exhaust system but could these be the reason why my car was acting funny today when i plugged in the cruise control and why it started smelling like gas inside the car??

Last edited by drizzy; 07-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
What a min. Did you hook the two green wires up that puts the car into diagnostic mode? The very same green wires lets you "marry" a Cobb AP to your ECU?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
What a min. Did you hook the two green wires up that puts the car into diagnostic mode? The very same green wires lets you "marry" a Cobb AP to your ECU?
Yea they were green right by the thing that pops the hood.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ok, so not the green "test connectors" under the dash.

I'm not sure what the green wires are from under the hood.

P0137-low voltage O2 (probably the back one)
P0140-another O2 sensor issue (back one)
P2096-This is prob from the o2 sensor/cat (back one)

Put the cats back in and reset the ECU (disconnect the battery and press on the brake pedal for 5 secs to drain the remaining power) and let it sit for 30 mins.

Have you looked under the car to see if the back o2 sensor is even there ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^They are the green wires, he meant by the hood release lever.

Not sure the exact procedure behind connecting/disconnecting those, but they only need to be connected when trying to read/flash the ecu.

-Chris
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Nah I havent looked yet but I will today. Wow so I connected the wrong wires so no wonder why the car was acting up and stuff. alright cool well ill leave those unconnected and ill wait till we get the cats back on. Thank you guys so much for your help I thought it was the car but stupid me hooked those wires up so thats the car was acting funny.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You didn't notice the fans cycle and all that clicking going on ?

Report back.

More than likely, you could just get a tune and be done.... Is there a tune on the car ? Or a programmer?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #10 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, the test connectors under the dash. Not the hood. Having them connected does make the car act crazy. The fans shut on and off a lot, clicking noises, and dash lights flashing. Just leave them disconnected. A tune should eliminate the CELs due to not having any CATs.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Yea I took it for an inspection today and they said thats what most likely will happen. Thank you guys for helping me out with this stuff ha Im new to all this so yea thanks again guys.