Problem with 03 WRX. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
Problem with 03 WRX.

Hello guys. I am in need of your help. I own an 03 WRX with 75K miles on it. That car is all stock with the exception of a short shifter.

I drove to the laundry mat night, about 2 miles from my house, really babying it shifting at 2K. When I pulled into the laundry mat parking lot and parked, I got a wiff of something burning. I sat for a minute and saw smoke comming from my hood. I poped the hood and noticed the smoke was coming from my turbo (or that area). Since it was dark, I couldnt tell for sure. There was NO oil or fluids that I could see. I didnt try to drive it back in fear of hurting something thats not allready hurt.

My question is, What do you think it could be? I am new to turbo engines so just taking a guess, I am thinking that my turbo spun a bearing or something of that affect. The car did not throw any cel's so I dont know if pluggin it in would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
it could be something as simple as axel grease on the DP. I would just look around to see if any fluids are leaking in that area.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
I would think that to (my old outback blew the front diff and took out the cv) (same smell almost) But the concentration of the smoke was under the turbo heat shield. Could only see with cell phone light.
#4 Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Your gonna have to take the heatsheild off.Could be a loose line or something.Does the smoke smell like burning oil or sweet like burning coolant.Both have a distinct color and smell when burning.Obviously in daylight you should be able to get a better look.Look under the car first thing and see if you can find a puddle.Check the oil level and coolant level next.If all seem normal,start the car and see if you can pinpoint the smoke and if anything is leaking.If it is only 2 miles away I would try to drive it home without going into boost.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#5 Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
+1 to what Dumdum has to say. You need to pull the heatshield off. My guess is you've torn your inner CV boot and have axle grease splattering on your downpipe. I've had it happen twice, the smell is like crap on fire.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#6 Old 01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
Im still not thinking it is the cv boot because I have had that happen to me before in an Outback and that was horrible. The cabin filled with smoke and there was one hell of a trail of smoke behind the car when that happened. Thats not the case here. The smoke was billowing out from under the turbo heatshield. I cant say what color the smoke was but it didnt seem sweet smelling which leads me to believe it is an oil leak or something of the sort. Is there anything I need to check on the turbo before driving it again if it is just a oil leak? After the leak is fixed that is. Should the turbo still be ok to use of do you think it might have been starved of oil and fried something or what?

Thanks guys for your help.
#7 Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Depending on where the oil is coming from, it might still be good. If it's coming from the bearing cartridge, you might be looking at a new turbo.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#8 Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
If that is the deal, what do you think about a stock motor running a Deadbolt TD05H-16G to replace the factory turbo?
#9 Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
If that is the deal, what do you think about a stock motor running a Deadbolt TD05H-16G to replace the factory turbo?
/\ There is a ton of information on this site about upgrading turbos,especially that one...........

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
I'm willing to lean towards a turbo seal has gone out.

AND

Deadbolt resells Blouch Turbos
#11 Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
I hope the turbo is still good just for the fact that I cant really afford a bigger turbo and supporting mods right now. I guess if the turbo is bad, I will just go with a Deadbolt Monster TD04 just for the fact it will make a tad more power but does not require any other mods to be done. I am not checking it out for the shear fact that I am in no way experienced enough to diagnose this kind of issue. I should hear back from the mechanic today as to what it is.
#12 Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
This will show that I really have no idea how to diagnose a turbo issue. I took my car to a mechanic and they said there is nothing leaking from the turbo but they did find antifreeze on the block but after a pressure test, nothin was leaking from the system??? Any ideas guys? I cant seem figure this one out either.
#13 Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Try another mechanic.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^ no kidding. if there is coolant on the block, its leaking from somewhere.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#15 Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
Ok, I am really starting to get pissed with these guys. I was told that they would have it figured out by monday afternoon. Today is now thursday and they are telling me something else. They say they found a fuel leak(which is known to happen with this vintage rex) and no mention of the antifreeze this time around. They are not calling me back like they say they will. I need my car back by monday because iv had a trip planned for awhile and I took my car to them because they said they could have it done by this week. I feel like they are putting me off. I hate mechanics in my town. They all suck.