Power Steering leak at input shaft - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
Question Power Steering leak at input shaft

I drive a 2009 WRX (no mods) and noticed that I was leaking power steering fluid recently. A little troubleshooting and I discovered the source, the leak is originating from the input shaft coming into the rack and pinion gearbox.

The Subaru service manual that I found online states for this type of leak to 'Replace the valve assembly with a new part'. However when I inquired at the dealership they told me they don't sell that part, they only sell the entire rack and pinion for $750.

Looking at the gear box it is obvious that it is replaceable, but I cannot find a part number. I really do not want to replace my entire rack and pinion for what is most likely a worn bearing in the gearbox. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
I may have found the correct part, it is called the Pinion Valve and it runs around $270. Any confirmation would be appreciated.

Pinion Valve
post #3 of 35 Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
We have a vendor on here that is usually somewhat active. Their name is subaruonlineparts.com. You may want to message them about it. They might be able to get you a better deal or free shipping. Here's a link to their profile on here. Best of luck. Car seems too new to have problems like that. If your stealership is anything like mine, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Mine told me There is no fuel filter on my car

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/memb...ruonlineparts/

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #4 of 35 Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I had this same issue with my '09 STi, and Subaru wanted $1,400 for a new steering rack, although they'd give me $450 or so for the old rack. It was past the warranty.

I couldn't afford that repair path, so a mechanic friend of mine and and pulled the steering rack off the car and took it to a steering rack rebuilder. They rebuilt it for $300 and we put it back in the STi. It needs an alignment afterwards, but $400 is far less than $1,400.

It's an advanced repair to put it back in, because the steering needs to be centred, but taking it out is actually rather straightforward.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 01-12-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarity
post #5 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
A quick look shows they do stock the part. I will IM them and see what I can do. Thanks for the response.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
Yes - I am to the point that if it isn't a warranty issue then I am not going to have the dealership do the work. Only my kids get to treat me as a walking ATM
post #7 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
I visited their website, they carry the part - but their website is broken. When I add the item to the cart and try to checkout I get a message saying that there are no items in my cart. Hopefully I will hear back from someone soon or else I will have to use a different option so I can have the part here by this weekend.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
Apparently in order to add an item to your cart on subaruonlineparts.com you have to have an account and be logged in. Once I got past that hurdle I was able to proceed with the order, their ground rates were very reasonable.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Please give us an update on this repair, and perhaps even post some pictures when you get the chance.

My power steering leak repair wasn't covered by warranty at 120,000 km (steering rack pinion shaft leak), but according to my research it was a rare failure for a Subaru. However given your experience with it, I was not the only one with the issue.
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 01-14-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: repair detail
post #10 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
I will report back on my results, will see if iPhone pictures turn out or not
post #11 of 35 Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
My car developed this same problem over the past couple weeks. I have to top off the fluid every 1 hour of driving or it gets too low and sucks air in the lines. I plan on replacing the valve assembly myself, it doesn't look too terribly hard.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
I replaced the valve over the weekend and the leak has been fixed. I have a couple of issues that I need to resolve still though.

Problem #1: When I re-attached the steering column to the pinion valve I did not get it perfectly aligned. The steering wheel is out of alignment by about 5-10 degrees to the right. This is causing the traction control and hill assist systems to be disabled (dummy lights are on). This should be a fairly easy fix.

Problem #2: None of my steering wheel controls are working, and the airbag light is on. Not sure what would have caused this since we did not remove the steering wheel. My friend did spin the steering wheel to the right a couple of times when it was disconnected, I am wondering if this caused some wires to get disconnected. I can hear a small scraping noise coming from the steering wheel now when I turn it to the right.
post #13 of 35 Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
Sounds like part of what I am experiencing may be coming from the clock spring in the steering wheel. Best case scenario is we un-wound it when we spun the steering wheel. Worst case is we snapped something and I would need to order a new clock spring (looks like about a $60 lesson).
post #14 of 35 Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3shm3at View Post
Sounds like part of what I am experiencing may be coming from the clock spring in the steering wheel. Best case scenario is we un-wound it when we spun the steering wheel. Worst case is we snapped something and I would need to order a new clock spring (looks like about a $60 lesson).
I'm about to tackle this. Did you torque the adjustment screw back to spec? (2.9 ft-lbs, which sucks because I do not have a torque wrench that goes that low)

Also, how did you spin the steering wheel during this?
post #15 of 35 Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fr3shm3at is an unknown
My clockspring arrives on Thursday so I will be installing over the weekend. It is my buddy that has all of the tools, so I will ask him tonight if his torque wrench goes down this low. Can you point me to where you found this specification?

As for the second question - my friend who was helping me grabbed and spun the universal joint while the rack and pinion was removed.