Power problems - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
well it depends on how much work you wanna do. I did it without lifting the engine. In retrospect i wish i had. it took a lot of wiggling to get the oem piece out. after that since the megan one doesnt have that cat piece on it. should fit right into place. let me know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
The uppipe can be a pain in the ass to remove. I found that a sawzall came in handy. Just pull it down as far as it can go, cut it, remove the rest through the top.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#18 Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That would be great to see someone running a sawzall while standing at the engine of a car. Just got this odd mental picture.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well, I was the one with the sawzall. Didn't trust anyone else near the car with it.

#20 Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
I'm still waiting for the up pipe to ship... I'm still not sure if i want to suck it up and install it myself or bite the bullet and pay the shop....
#21 Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you have access to a lift, it's not that hard. Pull the exhaust, pull the header, pull turbo if you want, after that it comes right out. Might want to get some new gaskets while you are at it.

#22 Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
The problem i am facing is that i don't have a floor jack or stands or lift... Is it possible to do the install with the stock jack? Thats how i had to do the turbo swap, and it was a huge PITA.... It sucks living in an apartment and having a storage unit to park the car in (the car barely fits in, still waiting for the day i lose a mirror...)
#23 Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'm going to say no just for safety sake. Exhaust bolts have a tendancy to freeze/bind and if you put too much force on it, you could shake the car off the jack and right on top of you.
Having a stable vehicle is key to any work you do. I have refused to work on people's cars for the simple fact that it wasn't properly stablized. Again, it's a safety thing. Mine before anyone elses.

#24 Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
Update: I got my car back from the shop yesterday, sure enough the cat in my up pipe was loose and sitting sideways. Luckily my turbo escaped UNDAMAGED! The Megan Racing catless up-pipe didn't fit well, the shop had to drill out new holes in my turbo to mount it correctly. Over all it took the shop 6 1/2 hours @ $78 per hour. I have spent enough $$ there so they only charged me $300 including flushing the radiator.

The car is much louder and deeper sounding. It really seems to get up and go, the boost is like hitting a switch, it spools crazy fast! Other than fitment problems the uppipe works great and the car finally runs perfect!
(lame that i replaced about everything else to find this problem....)
#25 Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
that does suck, but the good thing it's running like a champ now. next time ask us first. lol

I use car ramps to get under my car and it still keeps it stable and it's not a bad price.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#26 Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
I have ramps but my car sits to low to put it on them. I'm lowered about 2" and my body kit sits pretty low also... Even the tire shop hates dealing with my car...