Subaru WRX Forum banner

Power problems

5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  TurboRyan 
#1 · (Edited)
i have an 02' wrx that is having trouble making power. The car idles fine and drives decent with out boost. When i try getting on it the car bucks at about 2.9k and builds about 8psi to around 4.6k. then any thing after 4.7k rpm's the car doesn't want to accelerate, the rpm's don't climb any higher and it won't build any more boost. It makes a weird sound that is hard to describe, its not healthy sounding to say the least... When the car is in nuetral it revs up to redline no problem and sounds normal. I have no CEL. I have tripled checked all my connections. I replaced all the plugs (old ones looked fine), i replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, injectors, restrictor pill (drilled out to #55). Any suggestions of where else to look would be great!
Mods- Big 16g turbo, silicone turbo inlet pipe, STi pink injectors, walbro fuel pump, AEM CAI, 4" catless down pipe, 3" catless TBE, TurboXS-RFL BOV, PDX e-tune w/cobb AP v2.

When a clutch is getting ready to crap out, does it make strange sounds? Could my clutch be slipping?

#3 ·
I have been in touch with PDX, they told me to change the plugs and fuel filter. After that they have been telling me its a boost leak, but if it is i have no clue where it is.... When i try to data log it doesn't work well, because when i try the pull in 3rd from 2k- redline i make it from 2k to about 4.7k before it quits going any higher or faster. Since i don't have a WB 02 sensor the data log doesn't really tell ME much... I have had this problem going on for almost a year now. The tune is only about 3 weeks old....

#5 ·
What's with the double posts tonight?

But, if you sucked up the cat in the up-pipe. The turbo might be damaged from the shards of cat. Probably should've changed out the UP before the turbo upgrade or did that at the same time.

#11 ·
I tried cleaning the MAF, but the previous owner managed to completely strip both screws holding it on. I'm a little afraid to try and drill them out... I plan on ordering a megan catless up pipe, hopefully that will take car of my problem. Should i use the gaskets that come with it or should i order oem from subaru?

#14 ·
looks like you have a weekend project. when you do replace the uppipe. take the extra steps and pull the turbo and give it a look over just incase. better you find the problem now when your working on it. not when you need the power. also i'd look into getting the MAF replaced. if the screws are stripped. maybe there is damage that is not so obvious.

My megan pipe came with a plug for the EGT sensor bung. its up to you if you put it in. but remember if you take out the EGT sensor your going to throw the CEL code. (if your tuner hasn't disabled the code ). As for the gaskets. the ones you get should be fine.

#15 ·
I ordered the megan flex up pipe yesterday, and also went ahead and bought oem gaskets from subaru. I'm tired of dealing with leaks so i spent extra just to be on the safe side. The only part of the install i'm worried about is lifting the engine the 2". Is that part really necassary? I don't have an air box or heat shields to worry about so that part should be smooth, along with the IC i have taken on and off a thousand times....

#16 ·
well it depends on how much work you wanna do. I did it without lifting the engine. In retrospect i wish i had. it took a lot of wiggling to get the oem piece out. after that since the megan one doesnt have that cat piece on it. should fit right into place. let me know how it goes.

#22 ·
The problem i am facing is that i don't have a floor jack or stands or lift... Is it possible to do the install with the stock jack? Thats how i had to do the turbo swap, and it was a huge PITA.... It sucks living in an apartment and having a storage unit to park the car in (the car barely fits in, still waiting for the day i lose a mirror...)

#23 ·
I'm going to say no just for safety sake. Exhaust bolts have a tendancy to freeze/bind and if you put too much force on it, you could shake the car off the jack and right on top of you.
Having a stable vehicle is key to any work you do. I have refused to work on people's cars for the simple fact that it wasn't properly stablized. Again, it's a safety thing. Mine before anyone elses.

#24 ·
Update: I got my car back from the shop yesterday, sure enough the cat in my up pipe was loose and sitting sideways. Luckily my turbo escaped UNDAMAGED! The Megan Racing catless up-pipe didn't fit well, the shop had to drill out new holes in my turbo to mount it correctly. Over all it took the shop 6 1/2 hours @ $78 per hour. I have spent enough $$ there so they only charged me $300 including flushing the radiator.

The car is much louder and deeper sounding. It really seems to get up and go, the boost is like hitting a switch, it spools crazy fast! Other than fitment problems the uppipe works great and the car finally runs perfect!
(lame that i replaced about everything else to find this problem....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.