power loss/ sputtering - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-10-2004, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
Unhappy power loss/ sputtering

My car recently began to act up. The engine loses power at 5k rpm, and sputters. i cleaned the air filter, fuel filter, and mass air sensor, but its still messing up. I need my power back- there's a guy in a local town that is convinced his mr2 can outrun me, and i need to break his heart- help a buddy out, and lets make a suby snack out of a toyota. -thanks everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2004, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
You better not be too cocky if that is the second generation MR2 Turbo. You may get a surprise if it is. They have a good stock platform with plenty of room to up the performance.

As for the sputtering, what has changed since it started doing it? The weather? Gas brand/octane?
#3 Old 01-11-2004, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Yeah did you change anything? You might have gotten something in your fuel and thats why its acting up, but you need to be more specific so you can narrow it down.

Che
#4 Old 01-11-2004, 12:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
i've outrun mr2 turbos w/ upgrades before- and they had good drivers- this kid's 16 and uncoordinated

as far as everything else, the weather's been the same, it's got supreme exxon in it. i got rid of the cat, thinking that could be the problem, but it wasn't. i took my boost controller off, and had a buddy at my local shop clean everything and check it all out. we're flustered
#5 Old 01-15-2004, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxecution is an unknown
any mods that we should know about??
#6 Old 01-15-2004, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
just cai, boost controller, bov, and full exhaust
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
maybe the cai causing problems, I now have my cai installed on a shelf in my garage,(works great there!) however, look into the plugs and coil pack boots, you may have carbon tracking on the plugs or boots. I just had a problem with that about 2 weeks ago. if you see any lines down the plugs or in the boots replace them both otherwise it will happen again with new plugs.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
#8 Old 02-18-2004, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
i replaced the plugs and got a unichip programmed to my specs. it still messes up, but i'll check into the cai. thanks for the replies everyone.
#9 Old 02-18-2004, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

ozzyinnit is an unknown
Going on the fact that nothing "MAJOR" has been done to the car concerning mods, Check your plugs for carbon build up, or wetting, air sensors are not nackered, filter not good, poor fuel from local garage, it does happen!!, are you on new fuel from different station,from last fill up, Have you been idling scoob for to long berfore booting it as they are built with safety features to control boost after long periods of 1.5-2rpm,
Hope you get sorted stone,
ozzyinnit
#10 Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXXX04 is an unknown
Hey I am having the same problem with my 02. You put the pedal to the floor and right after 5k it feels like it is looseing some boost. I have owned mine for a month and it just started doing that a few days ago. I have been threw about 3 tanks of gas since then and it still does it. The only mod I have done to it(if you want to call it a mod) is the removal of the silencer. I didn't see any carbon tracs so I know the spark isn't arking. I havent gotten to take it to a dealer yet, but I am going to soon before I put an exhaust on the old subby. I am going to hook it up to the drb or the snap-on computer(which ever one is compatible) to see if it is getting a fuel pressure drop or a loss of spark or any change in something that isn't supposed to fluctuate.
#11 Old 02-18-2004, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
thats the same plan i have. i've checked everything, run new gas through it, EVERYTHING. i'm just gonna let subaru's tech guys have a field day on it, and be broke for a while. i just want my baby back. let me know what the dealer says about yours since warranty still covers yours. once again, i really appreciate the replies. i've learned a ton on these forums, and want to tahnk everyone who shares their knowledge.
#12 Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
check your vacuum hose from you Intake Manifold to your FPR.. sounds like that might be your problem. It just comes out sometimes. Your not getting enough fuel so the ecu is lowering timing hidiously.
#13 Old 02-18-2004, 11:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

stone is an unknown
what do i do to fix that? part of the vacuum line has excellent vacuum, part has next to none. i can't remember which section was which, but we couldn't find a solution. - i bought a vishnu unichip- wasn't that supposed to fix the fuel delivery, or is it because its only a piggy back that the ecu is still trying to compensate- i'm learning