Subaru WRX Forum banner

Power loss

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Redneck 
#1 ·
I hate starting a new thread but I have a question that the dealer seemed to want to ignore. I recently had a power loss, not a terrible one but it felt like the engine had lost its snap (especially at around 3300 rpm where it usually pulls really strongly). I took the car to the dealer (they had also over-filled my tranny while topping off fluids during an oil change and I made them drain off the excess). The parts guy and the service manager took the car out for a spin and said that it was running fine, but the parts guy alluded to the computer pulling timing because of the cold weather?? Shouldn't cold weather result in more timing due to lower temps and lower instance of knock?? I am confused, it seems counterintuitive. Should I continue to listen to these guys??

#2 ·
I could see where it might pull timing in the cold weather. Remember cold air is more dense. Therefore there is more air in the same volume of air than there was in the summer. I guess it could lean you out but that would seem pretty extreme. Are you in high altitude or running 91 octane gas? Did you do any intake mods like a snorkel-ectomy?

I'm no mechanic but I could see the logic in the parts guys thought. Honestly I have noticed more stuttering since it got cold than I ever did before. I figured it was a bad tank of gas. I run only 93 octane Amoco Ultimate. I'll have to pay closer attention to how it's running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.