Subaru WRX Forum banner

Power loss

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
Hey all...

The last couple days I've noticed that my car feels like it's losing power. When I accelerate, I can hear the turbo spool, but it seems like it almost hesitates as if the spooled air isn't getting to where it should be. I'm going to reset the ECU to see if that fixes the problem, but does anyone have any ideas? Could it be that in warmer weather I feel more of a surge from the turbo and I'm just not experiencing that in colder weather? Any ideas/help will be appreciated!

In searching the forums, I found this thread, which could explain things:

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3471&highlight=power+loss

What's weird though is the weather has only been moderatly cold, whereas a couple weeks ago it was freezing and I don't remember having problems. So any input would help.

#5 ·
I doubt that you're pulling timing in colder weather, it's more than likely happening in warmer conditions. This is why you'd feel the difference in power output. When it comes to turbo engines especially, colder is better. :D

#6 ·
Slightly off topic, but you car actually produces more power on a cold start. It will level out as your engine warms to operating temperature. I just remember reading about that when a car was being dyno'ed or something like that.

#7 ·
I am having the same problem with my 04 WRX. It spools fine early in the revs but as it gets higher in the revs the boot goes down and gets as low as 8lbs near redline. My car is still under warranty it is at the dealership here in Flagstaff, AZ. If they can't find the problem then I am going to take it to Forced Air Technologies in Pheonix, AZ. Check out their web site. www.forcedairtech.com

#8 ·
Simple "I lost power" fixes:

Oil Change - Trust me, after a fresh oil change your car just feels better
Premium Gas - Get the good stuff, your car will love you for it
Air Filter - Believe it or not, your car breaths oxygen just like a human being

And if you've done all that and it still feels like you've lost power, then get an EM + TBE and go Stage 2 :p

And to answer the quote below, It's normal for your boost to drop back down near redline.
I am having the same problem with my 04 WRX. It spools fine early in the revs but as it gets higher in the revs the boot goes down and gets as low as 8lbs near redline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.