Possible turbo???? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
chad388

Possible turbo????

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum I have a 08 wrx today while driving I pulled into a shopping center I slowly went over a speed bump continued driving about 5 min later my exhaust tone changed got on the main road at idle I have 20hg of vacuum full throttle under load I have 3 pounds of boost got home walked over to pass side near turbo and heard a ticking sound kinda like a heat shield but seemed deeper I checked vacuum lines could this be a turbo that went I'm really hoping it isn't please any input or things to check? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Most common symptoms of a turbo going are oil consumption and blueish smoke from the exhaust, or a screeching noise when going into boost.

Try checking the intercooler to throttle body hose. There are rubber boots on either end of the hose that like to warp and cause leaks. Try pulling the boots off and re-install the hose. That is one of the most common areas for boost leaks.

I'd get a boost leak test done if that isn't it. Its pretty cheap, $20-$50 depending on the leak and the shop. It takes a lot of headache out it.
#3 Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1392255783.212215.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  62.7 KB
That's what a bad turbo looks like. See the oil leaking where it connects to the downpipe. Mine smokes while warming up and for about half a block when I start driving

#4 Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
chad388

Thank you for the quick reply any ideas why it might have a tick sound coming from the turbo?

#5 Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Wrx's have a tick from factory are you sure it's not a noise that has always been there and your just now noticing?
Edit. As for your boost problem. Any local shop should be able to help you out for less then 100$.

#6 Old 02-13-2014, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably a boost leak. Do a leak check. Maybe even an exhaust leak in addition to the boost leak.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Sounds like valve tap and an exhaust leak...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I just got a boost drop problem fixed a few months ago. It was the C-clip on the waste gate arm under the heat shield. A bump may pop off that C-clip leaving the arm to tap on the turbo or the heat shield.

Everyone was telling me to get a boost leak test. That is just what we were about to do when we removed the heat shield and there it was.

Just a wild guess.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#9 Old 02-16-2014, 04:49 PM
chad388

Thanks guys for all the replies I'm gonna pull the car into a garage sat and check it out. I'll let everyone know what I find

#10 Old 02-22-2014, 08:09 AM
chad388

Hey everyone I just pulled the inter cooler off I found the tube going to the throttle body loose I couldn't pull it off without loosening the clamp on throttle body end could that be the problem? While I have the inter cooler off should I check for anything else?

#11 Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 AM
chad388

So I put it back together quick and drove it still only builds 3 lbs of boost after tightening clamp

#12 Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
You need to undo the hose, take it completely off and take off the rubber pieces on both ends, then re-install it.
#13 Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
chad388

Both the rubber pieces on the end of the hose by the clamps when I reinstall the pieces do I put any kind of sealer in them?

#14 Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
No, as long as you tighten the clamps back down the air won't leak out.