Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Please help! Coolant leak (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/please-help-coolant-leak-45537/)

justin93m 03-04-2014 12:12 PM

Please help! Coolant leak

i have an 03 wrx with a coolant leak that will only leak once the car starts until it warms up, once car is warm there is no leak. pressure test was done yeilded nothing, new headgaskets from cometic. any ideas? water pump? or which gasket? all stock water pump was not replaced but timing belt and pulley were

G0ATLIF3 03-04-2014 12:46 PM

Did you purchase a new Gasket for the old water pump? If not that would be a place to start. When you removed the pump in the first place you should have cleaned the old gasket off thoroughly but not abrasively. any notching to the face of your pump will need to be machined out(this is not cheap so i would just buy a new one). never re-use old gaskets, never re-mount without completly removing the old gasket.

Have you had a look underneath the vehicle to see approx. where the leak is coming from?

G0ATLIF3 03-04-2014 12:58 PM

This might sound silly but ive seen it done before>

When you re-installed the pump did you ensure that all 6 bolts were firmly tightened? 2 of the bolts on the pump are not visible after it is back in place. it is pretty easy to get excited and forget one of them. Maybe re-check your torque.

When you put the old Temp sensor in did you make sure the small ring gasket was replaced? Same as above post. New gaskets/Seals only.

justin93m 03-04-2014 01:34 PM

i bought a whole gasket kit when i redid the motor, i will double check those bolts i was pretty excited when i was getting it back together haha, but thank you! i cant really find where its leaking its under the timing belt cover like near bottom rad hose? think its a head gasket?

G0ATLIF3 03-04-2014 01:44 PM

[quote=justin93m;438953]think its a head gasket?[/quote]

When its cold have a friend stand behind the vehicle and rev it to about 2500Rpm. If the exhaust is white, heavy and smells like burning sugar then you bet its a HG leak.

Did you replace the Head bolts???? please say yes... This is very important(just as important as the torque you put them under).

if you torqued the head bolts down in a criss-cross pattern and to the specified torque(i think its 29Ft/Lbs but dont quote me on that) you shouldn't have any leaks.

About how much do you need to fill daily in your resivior?

Brockton 03-04-2014 01:47 PM

Did you use the subaru coolant conditioner?

justin93m 03-04-2014 02:03 PM

head bolts were replaced, and it doesnt smoke like at all, very little smoke while starting, just like normal smoke it havent smelled it but its not smoking bad or alot. i really feel like it might be a water pump issue. i have no other head gasket signs, it makes good power, oil is good, and no air the my system.

justin93m 03-04-2014 02:05 PM

and i only need to fill the resivoir like once or twice a week.

G0ATLIF3 03-04-2014 02:27 PM

Hmm... I doubt it will be a head gasket then.

Sorry bro, i think your stuck checking your torque and possibly re-placing the water pump

[quote=Brockton;438969]Did you use the subaru coolant conditioner?[/quote]

I thinkyour right, and it was the second gen 2.5's that were recalled to add this conditioner. there were multiple issues regarding not having the additive. im having a hard time finding the exact year though.

HG leaks, Blown coolant passages, Etc. If your interested OP it is just re-branded RADWELD or HOLT's.

justin93m 03-04-2014 02:30 PM

thanks alot guys! i appreciate all the help! and i will look into the conditioner

justin93m 03-04-2014 02:32 PM

and by the way the dealership did the coolant flush and replaced with new coolant, maybe they added it? but probably not

G0ATLIF3 03-04-2014 03:31 PM

Next time you need to fill grab some and throw it in the jug with the coolant. Give a quick shake and away you go! Good luck :D

Brockton 03-04-2014 04:36 PM

The dealership should have added it, SOA recommends it for all subaru models and years now.