Phobos went down again. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Phobos went down again.

Well phobos went down again.. I was on my way home from my parentals the other weekend and when I compressed the clutch it didn't dissengauge.. Also I was getting an odd squealing sound from under the car.. I was so frustrated that I parked the car and let her sit.. I had no desire to look into it then.. Well I got a kick in the ass this weekend so I pulled the transmission out saturday to see what was doing on.. Well to my dismay I figured out the problem. All but (1) of the flywheel bolts were lose.. A few were finger tight and a few were backed out.. One was backed out so far it was impacting the clutch disk.. I have pitctures but they are on my girls camera so I can't post them until she comes home.. Well I got all that buttoned back up but I broke the fitting lose that my EGT probe threads into lose from my down tube.. So I had to fix that however it stripped the threads all off so I decided to brase it on.. Well I couldn't get the acetaline valve open which really pissed me off.. After about an hour of screwing with it I got it opened and brased the fitting back on.. After I got everything back together I took my neighbor (who helped me do the work) for a test drive to check her out the stupid shifter popped out of the socket again.. This is really frustrating me.. I had this problem a lot last time I reaced the car so I replaced the socket and the ball on the bottom of the shifter..

Any ideas as to a fix is appreciated.. At this point I'm thinking about machining a new socket with a bolt on cap to hold the shifter ball in the socket.. An easier fix is welcome..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sorry to hear that m8. All I can do is commiserate. My car is about to go back to the mechanic as well. I seem to have lost 100 or so ponies somewhere...

Misery loves company?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
WRXpert

And yet the kids that are pushing the TD04 to 25lbs are still running?? Go figure.. Even when you think you build it right it breaks..

#4 Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Dang, thats so crappy to hear about both cars. Guys that know their stuff and do it right cant catch a break. But you said it right Ken. Best of luck to both of you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Definatly sucks to hear that on both accounts....
#6 Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Well since misery loves company, let me toss my story out.

When I was just Stage 2, I was running 13.7 at the local drag strip. Fairly consistent too. Got boost hungry so I decided a VF34 would be plenty for me. After about 6 months of finding the best prices and getting the parts, install day came. Put a base map in for the long drive to Indiana. On the way there, the power steering pump failed. Found a Subaru dealer, bought a new one and fixed the problem. Got to the tuner, left happy. Noticed I was running a bit hot on the way back from the tuner. Made it back home.

The next day I left for work, made it 5 miles down the road and the bottom tank on the radiator BLEW OFF! Yes, OFF. Thankfully I had my tools, crimped it back on, limped it home where it promptly came off again. There it sat for about a month before the performance radiator showed up, along with the ERZ bellmouth, Walbro 255 and the GM BCS. Still waiting on the new silicone coolant hoses. Re-tune for the BCS, break everything in, take it to the track... 14.5

After all the work, all the money, I'm slower? I'm hoping it was just the heat but if it's not I'm going to be really pissed.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#7 Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Taxi, you need a bigger intercooler!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
WRXpert

We all need more money, a shop with lifts and full tool array, a crew and time... Not to mention patience and a sencond car.. LOL. But hey, I can't complain at this point, she is on the road and as long as I don't get grabbie with the shifter everything is fine.. Even got pulled over today but all is well since I'm old and no fun any more.. Got pulled for an expired tag on my plate since I never put the new bumper on I never put the new plate on so I never put the new tag on the old plate.. I just carry it with me. The cops tell me to get it all put on but I'm too lazy to open that can of worms with my current carma...

#9 Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Talk about adding insult to injury Ken.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
WRXpert

Finally uploaded the pictures of the clutch..

Look at the wear on the clutch disk.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...u/DSC02318.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...u/DSC02319.jpg

unfortunitly due to a missunderstanding my girl didn't get a picture of the flywheel bolts which were also chewed up..