Periodic Chirping Noise - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
b_s
WRXtuners Member

b_s is an unknown
Periodic Chirping Noise

Howdy folks. Total noob here with another noise question. I have a 2008 WRX Wagon with around 12,500 miles. Car is stock, and I love it. I live in a city (San Francisco) and maybe get a couple of freeway drives a month, the rest is all around town. This week I had to do about 100 miles of freeway driving on Tuesday and Thursday. Both times, I noticed what I can only describe as a periodic high pitched chirping noise that was audible when I got off the freeway. Seemed to happen in all gears and while at idle.

Both times the noise was gone the next day.

I am not mechanically inclined (I just like to drive) and as I'm pretty busy at work, I would rather postpone a trip to the dealer unless this is deemed serious. I have used the search function and it seemed to point me toward waste gate flutter, though I would've guessed a slipping belt.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

xxxhpdrw is an unknown
I have an 08 sedan wrx and i noticed the same noise...it seems not to change with rpm. but its only sometimes....mostly when warm. i just noticed it the other day. Being a mechanic myself its driving me crazy, im taking to my dealer becuase....thats why i bought a new car....so i dont have to fix it lol. ill let you know what they find
#3 Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
Totally had the same problem! I have no idea what it was, but It went away. It drove me nuts too trying to figure it out, because it was just there, consistant, didnt determine of speed or rpm. it lasted for 2-3 weeks every so often maybe a couple trips a day, but not everyday. It was odd. But I havnt heard it for 3 months now. Hope you figure it out. Love to know what the bugger was.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
#4 Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

VTrider36 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VTrider36
in my experience, those squealing noises are almost always associated with a belt. I had an old Legacy wagon which would squeal little like this, especially when i turned on the fans. I have no experience with the new rexs but i would check all your belts or just listen while at idle and try to locate where its coming from. Maybe these 08+ belts are a new material and need to be broken in or something (explains why it went away)
#5 Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

T-squared is an unknown
i think this same thing is going on with my car. turn the car on, open the hood and rev it up with the throttle wire on the engine. rev it a few times and see if you can detect where the chirping is coming from. mine occures when i have the air on, it is the compressor fan belt kicking on. this whole time i thought it was a waste gate problem but it wasnt. i dont know if this chirping is "bad" for your car tho. is it?