Subaru WRX Forum banner

P1090 and 0188 tumble valve #1

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
tumble generator valve #1 "stuck and low output"

should i get it fixed? 34,600miles and modified exhaust and intake... will subaru do the warranty work? Just helps to lower emissions, why fix it? waiste of $450... But someone told me its ok to drive the car for now, but not to put off getting it fixed?

opinions please... how bad is this issue???
i'm saving for UTEC... i don't want to spend the $$ to get this fixed. how likely that the exhaust/intake/irridium spark plug mods caused this problem? anyone,... HELP?

#3 ·
Lucky enough to have a Dad

My dad owns his own shop and gas station.
He has been a mechanic for 35 yrs... He knows cars generally. But doesn't really know the new foreign cars and all the modern stuff about them... He has Snap On engine diagnostic with Asian scanner. They don't make a scanner chip for the 2002's yet, but he just runs the "generic OBDII" program and can at least read the codes. Can't say what they stand for, just the actual numbers. Then i email this guy, Tom Miller who has a site for the CEL fix and and EGT stock probe bypass, he tells me what the codes stand for. I got worried when my dad's diagnostic was able to clear two of the codes, but not the other one. That means the scanner is not familiar with the code at all... Which makes sense... These Tumble Generator Valves are all new for low emissions, and the 2001 scanner has never "heard" of them before.

#5 ·
one word.........UTEC! keeps the light off, only flashes when knock present...if you want it to. the mt2500 is kind of a stupid scanner, but in generic mode, it should clear the code. of course, the code is a man. specific code...so anything goes with new software. my advice is not to worry about it. at all. hehehehe
what aere the other two codes?
hey kobiashi....see me at work if you need access to your ecu....dont think you so, since you got the utec and all, but i offered!
Joey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.