Overheating after clutch install. Help! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To make sure the coolant is running through it as that's how the heater gets the heat, it's basically a heat exchanger with the engine coolant...

I don't know how common it is for air bubbles to get stuck in there but it couldn't hurt to run. I always do it.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
I have no idea why my car is over heating. It just got a brand new radiator installed. I just replaced the thermostat and the water pump and after about 5mins of driving it over heats. The top radiator hose is scolding hot while the bottom is cold(thats normal but not if its over heating right?) also the radiator itself is ice cold. I have tried burping the system although i dont know if i did it right. If i get a coolant flush that should get rid of all the bubbles if there are any correct?
#18 Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Correct.... Did you run water thru the radiator prior to the install ?

Have seen lots of crud come out of new radiators in the past.... Hell... even packing peanuts...

Just sayin

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#19 Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
So just a quick update the car is NO LONGER over heating. The guys when they put the radiator in filled the radiator up almost 2 gallons shy of what should have been. So like we thought there was a big air pocket and it no longer over heats.

Thanks everyone
#20 Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

jonathang is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
To make sure the coolant is running through it as that's how the heater gets the heat, it's basically a heat exchanger with the engine coolant...

I don't know how common it is for air bubbles to get stuck in there but it couldn't hurt to run. I always do it.

I believe that the coolant runs through the heater core at all times. There is no valve. Turning on heat just directs air through the core and into the cabin, it does not affect coolant flow, so this is unnecessary and just makes you sweat.