overheated until quit - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

trickyrabbit is an unknown
overheated until quit

Okay, I'm brand new. I just got a 2002 Impreza WRX with a 5-speed and 115000 miles in non-running condition. As far as I can tell there are not mods (other than rims). The previous owner ran it hot until it quit. Obviously the heads cracked, but would that destroy the pistons, rings, and other stuff. I was thinking of sticking a used engine in it originally, but if I could get by with just rebuilding the head or something easier and cheaper, that would be great. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quite honestly it'll have to wait until you pull it apart. The short block could be ok, as usually it's the heads/head gaskets that take the overheating the worst. You never really know though, if it was overheated to the point of quitting the pistons could have seized up.

Tear it apart and check it out. At least you bought the car knowing it would need work and seem prepared to do so, so kudos. If you got it for cheap enough and know what you're doing you can get a good deal once it gets running.

-Chris
#3 Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just rebuilt an '02 that went through the same thing. The heads were warped. The only cracks were little surface cracks around the plug holes. I raked the valve seats, had the heads planed and put it back together with new gaskets and seals. The short block was fine and it runs great.

Just check the pan for metal in the oil, and you can test the rings by filling the bores with oil to see if they leak (set the block on its side and do two at a time)
#4 Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

trickyrabbit is an unknown
Thanks for the info. I'm going to start looking around for factory heads soon. Haven't torn it down yet but just as well start hunting. While I'm at it I will look for info on swaps for other options. So this car has a few cosmetic issues (dent in RR fender, randoms nicks, some curb rash on a rim or two), how much do you think I should have paid for the car. Thanks again.
#5 Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I paid $3500 for one that had rod knock and was overheated, but was pretty clean cosmetically. I got the one that just overheated for $1500, but the engine was in pieces and had some front end damage (needed a hood and headlights) BTW,

I've got a pair of cylinder heads that have bent valves, but weren't overheated if those might help you out. I still need to get them off and inspect.