Over boosted again - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Over boosted again

A few weeks ago, my car over-boosted I believe. I was accelerating when my car had a momentary lose of power and then a CEL came on. I'm not sure what the exact code was, but my dealership said I needed a new boost control solenoid. So a week ago, they replaced it; my car was under warranty. Now today, I was getting on the highway and the same thing happened. It felt like the engine stuttered or misfired as I was accelerating, and a CEL came on again.
I am going to check the code later, and then I will get you guys some more information. I just wanted some advice in the meantime. If my car really did over-boost again, does this mean I need to replace my boost control solenoid again? Or will I be fine to just clear the code?
P.S. I know that I can solve this issue by installing a good 3-port boost controller, but I don't have the money for it. I would have to buy the boost controller, an AccessPort, and pay for a tune.
Thanks for the help!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To me, I would take the DP and intake off until you can afford to get tuned... That may be the cause of your problem since you're running stock maps on a Stage II setup. At least swap out the DP and see if that clears up the issue.

-Chris
post #3 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I probably should have clarified some stuff. My car is tuned. I bought it as is. I just didn't get the AccessPort that the previous owner had.

Mike
post #4 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Gotcha...That was my only idea.

-Chris
post #5 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, if the previous owner un-married the AP. Then you would be un-tuned. Do you know if he un-married the AP? If he did...don't get on the car until it's tuned. Is your Cobb DP catted? If so, its not going to hurt a lot of things. But getting on it...is going to constantly throw your Solenoid CEL, especially if it's un-married. If the previous owner didn't give you the AP and left it married to your ECU then that's be plain dumb on his part. I ran the Cobb catt'd DP for a week until I got my original protune. But, my tuner told me to not get on it, until it was protuned.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #6 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, this car doesn't sound tuned to me. Or, if it is, it's not tuned correctly. I would get a new Cobb AP, or take it to a tuner.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #7 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

sfelix818 is more helpful than not
Open source tune will be cheaper for you, just find a good tuner in your area that people recommend.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
The CEL code is PO244.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Well, if the previous owner un-married the AP. Then you would be un-tuned. Do you know if he un-married the AP? If he did...don't get on the car until it's tuned. Is your Cobb DP catted? If so, its not going to hurt a lot of things. But getting on it...is going to constantly throw your Solenoid CEL, especially if it's un-married. If the previous owner didn't give you the AP and left it married to your ECU then that's be plain dumb on his part. I ran the Cobb catt'd DP for a week until I got my original protune. But, my tuner told me to not get on it, until it was protuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Yeah, this car doesn't sound tuned to me. Or, if it is, it's not tuned correctly. I would get a new Cobb AP, or take it to a tuner.

I don't know if the AP was unmarried. I bought it from a dealer, and the previous owner lived in Texas. I have had the car for 5 months now and never had any problems until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelix818 View Post
Open source tune will be cheaper for you, just find a good tuner in your area that people recommend.
Do you need an AP to get an open source tune?

Mike
post #9 of 29 Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If the car is still married to the AP and you dont have the AP anymore the ECU is "locked". I dont think even an opensource tune can be done like that. The code you threw is kind of common even with the OTS Cobb Stg2 map. I threw it several times at that stage. What gear is this happening in? Its very common to happen when trying to accelerate hard in 5th gear. If that is the gear, down shift then accelerate and you should be alrite.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
If the car is still married to the AP and you dont have the AP anymore the ECU is "locked". I dont think even an opensource tune can be done like that. The code you threw is kind of common even with the OTS Cobb Stg2 map. I threw it several times at that stage. What gear is this happening in? Its very common to happen when trying to accelerate hard in 5th gear. If that is the gear, down shift then accelerate and you should be alrite.
I has happened twice in 5th, and once in 4th. So i can just clear the code and I'll be good, or do I need another wastegate solenoid?
If my ECU is "locked" does that mean I can't even buy my own AP now, cause it won't be able to work with my car?

Mike
post #11 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's a worse case scenario. That your ECU might be "locked". Its going to be a pretty decent hassle. But, i'd hardly doubt someone would leave it married. If it is locked, Cobb might have a resolution for you. It might require a tuner to unlock it. But, i've never heard anyone having that issue or stating what they did to correct it. But, you'd probably have to go to a Cobb certified tuner in your area to fix it.

If your DP is catted. You wouldn't notice it until lately. Cold weather and really getting on it in 5th and 4th. Especally if your under 3 rpm and doing hard accleration. Its going to spike and give you the CEL.

Edit: I'll contact my tuner to see what he has to say. My tuner is Cobb certified.

Kirt
post #12 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Thanks a lot Kirt!

Do you guys think I should contact my dealer and see if they want to replace my wastegate solenoid again, or just clear the code and forget about it?

Mike
post #13 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Clear it and forget about it. Its going to keep happening until you can get a better tune. The 3 port BCS really helps too. Because its more of a wastegate issue then a tune issue and the 3 port can lower your wastegate duty cycles. Which that requires a protune anyways....unless you really know what you're doing. The easiest way to know if its married or not. Would be to try and marry a new AP to it. If it won't marry to the new AP, it's "locked" or married to the old AP. Which Cobb and probably a Cobb certified tuner would have to resolve that issue. I'm still waiting to hear back from my tuner. READ: At any rate...a good tuner should be able to see if you have any tune loaded on your ECU or if it's locked.

Btw, Josh just told me a good point. You might need a AP anyways just to unlock it...depends on how/what they need to load a unlocking code to your ECU. Again....if it's even locked. You won't know unless you have it checked out.

Edit: My tuner said to call Cobb if it is locked. You might need to get a AP that has your VIN programmed into that. That's another thing Josh informed me that would allow a new AP to work with your ECU. Which you'd have to call Cobb and order that AP directly from them.

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 01-26-2010 at 05:20 PM.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Thanks so much Kirt. You've been wicked helpful.
I came out of school today, and the CEL was gone. Is it possible for a code to clear itself?

Mike
post #15 of 29 Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The Code will still be there. Just not the light. Kirt shared what info I gave him because of an issue I had with my AP. My AP completely stopped working (it had a bad processor or something). I called Cobb got the information I needed, sent in the AP, and got a new one with my cars VIN in it and it plugged right in and worked like nothing was wrong. Best bet like Kirt said is to get in contact with Cobb ASAP.

Kirt thanks so much for getting this info out, appreciate.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"