Octane question (04 wrx) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
Octane question (04 wrx)

Hey all, haven't posted in a good while and wasn't sure where else to put this so I am slapping it in here. I have an 04 wrx with an 18g turbo setup that was tuned for 93 octane gas in Houston, TX. I am living in Colorado for work (only for the summer) and it seems like I am only seeing 91 octane gas. My questions are as follows...

1) Will it be ok to run 91 octane if I absolutely keep off the boost?
2) Can I just disconnect the hose that connects the the BPV as to ensure I never boost (is this in itself safe)?
3) Do those octane booster bottles you see at autozone actually work? I've always thought those were a gimmick marketed to certain folks I will not name who generally drive goofy looking civics that are loud as hell from the mid-late 90's

Some notes...I DO NOT have my AP with me. Also, since I am a poor grad student with a 3 figure bank account I am not inclined to tune for 91 gas in Colorado then retune back to 93 when I get back to Houston because that would put me out close to $1000 bucks. Also, I'll be taking a bus to work so the only regular driving I'll likely be doing will be to the grocery store.

two sexy asses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
1) You should be fine on 91 if you use partial throttle and could even hit low low boost (<5 psi) the ECU should eventually scale back the timing tables for the 91 oct anyways so when you get back to texas you'll want to reset your ECU

2) No all that would do is cause a massive vacuum leak, what your thinking is to disconnect the boost controller which is different but you could still go up to wastegate pressure

3) no they don't work for shit

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What Basco said... You should be ok. The 91 gas is because you don't need the octane at higher levels anyways, so it's not nearly as bad as going from 93 to 91 and staying at the same elevation you were tuned for on 93.

Just go easy on it and you'll be ok. Hell, even STI's are "recommended" to run 93 from the factory.

-Chris