Occasional boost = dying turbo? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bump for updates

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The day before I visited IAG, I traced a strange grinding noise to my Cobb turbo heat shield - it was once again contacting my wastegate actuator arm and I think it was actually preventing it from moving at times (this happened before): Problem with Cobb turbo heat shield - VIBRATION FIXED (w/ pics) I ground a helluva lot more material off of the heat shield, so that shouldn't be an issue any more. The noise is gone and most of the boost is back, but the car is still underboosting slightly.

It seems like that was the culprit for the random overboosting and occasional complete loss of boost, but it doesn't fully explain the slight underboosting that I have now, unless something else is leaking or tweaked or something.

When I visited IAG last week, they did a boost leak test and everything looked good. I have another appointment with them tomorrow to check out the dynamic advance with my AP and do some other general diagnostics. I'm hoping they can fix my slight underboosting issue and get all my power back, but we'll see.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#18 Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Cool. Let us know what the findings are.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 04-22-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spell check
#19 Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, I'm interested in what they found.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#20 Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Update:

First, they checked the dynamic advance and it was spot-on, so it's not a tuning issue.

The wastegate and actuator were both checked and they're working properly, despite the damage from where the actuator arm was scraping against my Cobb turbo heatshield.

A compression check was done - passed - my engine still has a clean bill of health.

Next, they thought maybe the catalytic converter in my Cobb downpipe was blocked, so they swapped my dp for a catless one they had laying around (it's a bit dented, but it still works). After that, I picked up several more psi of boost (probably because it's less restrictive without the cat and the 3" to 2.5" taper), but the car still underboosts noticeably.

Finally, they used a boroscope to look at my stock turbo internals and they found out that the fins are actually scraping against the inner walls of the turbo due to some play in the shaft. Apparently, this is a fairly common thing in higher mileage turbos, but that's what they ended up saying was the cause of my slight underboosting, so it looks like I'll be getting a new turbo (and some other goodies) in the very near future.

I have a tentative appointment set up in early May for a turbo install and a tune the following weekend. I've narrowed down my choices to:

1. TD05H-16G-XT Blouch turbo w/ gaskets, Cobb SF intake, and tune

or

2. TD06H-20G-XT Blouch turbo w/ gaskets, Injector Dynamics 1000 cc top feed injectors, IAG BigMAF intake, and tune

Right now I'm very seriously leaning toward #2 because that was my goal from the very beginning and now I finally have a chance to do it. If that doesn't fix my underboosting problem, I don't know what will

John
#21 Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
just go with the 20G

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#22 Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^What he said. No reason to put a 16g on a 2.5. Run the 20g and keep boost in the 17-18 psi range and your engine will be happy for a while.

It will be a huge jump in power from where you're at and cost over $2g's though. You can slap a vf48 from a new STI on there, use the current injectors, and have a nice low 300whp car for about $400 plus the tune.

Personal preference: Don't bother with the ID's. Way overpriced. Five-O's are fantastic (in fact the same injector), and give you more headroom (ID's have been seen to scale closer to 900 where as my five-0 1200's scaled to 1150) with the same idle quality and tuning ability. They're also about $140 less since you don't need the pnp pigtails. Plus I run them so what more do you need to know?

-Chris
#23 Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
IDs also have an issue with running super lean if your fuel temps aren't kept low

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#24 Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
IDs also have an issue with running super lean if your fuel temps aren't kept low
No problem, I'll just throw some ice cubes in my gas tank every now and then

It looks like IAG doesn't normally stock Five-O injectors, but I'll ask about them. I do remember hearing something negative about side-feed injectors... it seems like top-feed is the way to go. The IDs are cheaper than Deatschwerks by $70, but injectors seem like pretty important parts, so I'd prefer to get some decent ones and have confidence that they'll work.

I have written estimates for both options, and yeah the 20G option is about $1,200 more than the 16G option, but I'm sure I'd be kicking myself if I spent all that money and didn't get a nice little power bump out of it.

I can already imagine the ginormous smile that will be plastered on my face on the ride home after the tune

I think the 20G package is a done deal.

John
#25 Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Just got off the phone with IAG and they said they've had some funny results with Five-Os, so I'm just going to stick with the IDs since that's what they have and that's what they're familiar with. 1000 ccs should be more than enough anyway. My 20G package is confirmed with the addition of a Perrin inlet tube for May 14th... ahhh I can't wait!

John
#26 Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Five-o's are top feed. I'm not joking, they're literally the same injector as the ID's. ID's are just marked up way more because they confirm the latency on them. They're shipped in flow matching sets just like the ID's are. The ID's aren't worth $500 with pigtails when you can get five-o's for $360 shipped for 1200's. Any issues I've heard of with the five-o's have been corrected by five-o, they have awesome service.

Just trying to save ya some cash.

-Chris
#27 Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
The issue was with their 1600cc injectors. They got hot and heated up the fuel as it went through them causing issues. They've discontinued them since. The 1000's don't have that issue.

Pretty sure five-o even got hit with the same issue since they're all the same.

-Chris
#28 Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Chris why limit his car to only 17-18PSI? Im tuned on 20PSI on both 91 and 92 (for now), and I know John gets 93OCT. I have put almost 40k on my car with the setup, to include a cross country trip. I do know John has WAY more miles than my car, so from that point I understand. But with good tuning and regular maintenance I dont see why limiting the PSI to that numbedr, especially since PSI is rather arbitrary, but so is HP.

John just make sure to get a waste gate pressure map, and step it up in intervals of around 2PSI for maps on the car. Even that new found power doesnt last that long, at least for me it didnt. Good luck with everything, looking forward to updates.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Chris, I definitely appreciate you trying to save me a few bucks. If I was on a super tight budget, I'd definitely shop around and probably buy used whenever possible, but I'm in a pretty good financial situation right now so I might as well take advantage of it while I can. At this point, I just want to get everything done all at once and go with parts that I know will work well together. IAG has hooked me up several times and saved me some cash in the past, so I don't mind throwing them a few extra bucks in this case. They are a business after all and I'd like to keep a good reputation with them since I like their facility and trust their staff.

I'm really at Jorge's mercy, so I'll probably just go with whatever magical tune he is able to give me. Since my car currently has 93k miles, I kind of view this as an experiment in the durability of the Subaru engine. I plan to continue keeping up with regular maintenance because I need to keep it running since it's my only source of transportation, but I'm definitely going to abuse it a little bit every now and then.

John
#30 Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Good and bad news I guess. It just makes you do the turbo upgrade that you always wanted to do.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae