Non oxygenated gas cause rod bearing failure? - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By brfatal
  • 2 Post By BLAZE2099

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Derrrr is an unknown
Non oxygenated gas cause rod bearing failure?

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been on but here we go. 2008 wrx wagon. Accessport , aem intake, invidia catted downpipe, srs catback. Was in Minnesota late one night on empty and had to fill with 91 octane non oxygenated gas, said off road use only and was I'm a pinch. Now after another tank of regular 91 and some techron I have a rod bearing going out, only can here it between 2 and 3000 rpm and definitely is a rod bearing noise. Did the non oxygas cause excessive knock and spin the bearing ? It's not too bad now do gonna try and run Lucas through it strip it stock and trade it off but idk. I'm a slow driver and don't know why I have a fast car, I drive 65mph tops on interstate and rarely rarely rarely ever go hard on it. I get made fun of for having it since I don't drive it like its made. Grr problems of being 3rd owner with only 76,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Say whu?

First of all.... a tank of 91 vs 93 will not cause motor issues unless you were beating it up like I did with girls back in the day.

2nd, how do you know it's the bearing?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Derrrr is an unknown
Never said anything about 93 octane. I filled with 91 octane non oxygenated gas. And it's a knock from a rod bearing, pretty obvious just hearing it. Our Subaru dealer agreed, so did a friend who's had one go out. I went on YouTube and listened to a few subarus with rod bearings that went out and it's identical, I just wanna know if that non oxygenated gas caused excessive knock and could have been the culprit
#4 Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If one does a bit of searching on the internet, the general consensus is that non-oxygenated gasoline will yield slightly higher mpg and octane rating, due to it's higher energy content compared to oxygenated gasoline. From what little I've read and vaguely remember from the debates over oxygenating gasoline from 20+ years ago in CA, non-oxygenated gasoline is slightly better for fuel systems and engines in general.

Therefore, it is hard to imagine that two tanks of non-oxygenated gasoline will cause significant knocking that will result in a spun bearing...

But I too like to speculate. I would suggest that sometime in the past the engine was low on oil for a period of time and the result of that is now appearing. Or, the car was driven in a spirited manner while the engine had not yet reached normal operating temperature.

That being said, what kind of "map" are you using? How often do you change your oil? What oil do you use? I'm no expert on diagnosing spun rod-bearings by ear, but statistically speaking, bearings usually "spin" due to a lack of oil and/or excessive friction.

But even I am using assumptions to come to an unconfirmed conclusion. Paul's question is the most important: What diagnostic test or visual inspection has been performed to actually confirm a spun rod bearing?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#5 Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
2.0L motor are known to have rod failure at high RPM usage. Just because you did drive it hard doesn't mean the people prior didn't and I suspect they did the same thing as you and only band aided the issue and passed it off to some one else.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Derrrr is an unknown
I use amsoil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles with Subaru filter and crush ring. Weird thing is 5 quarts always fills it up perfect to the line.
Not what the manual says. And also I disagree with you, I don't think he band aided the engine one bit since you can't really bandaid a spun rod bearing and then me buy it and put 15,000 miles on it. Just to be anal about it it's not a 2.0 liter engine. I also did clear up in my first post that just because I don't drive hard doesn't mean the previous owner didn't thats why I said problems of being third owner.
#7 Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It's an 08...did you check your Vin to see if it falls into a late 08 build date and possible new engine from SOA? They put some crap bearings in late 08 and early 09s. Is the engine original? Realize a bearing won't normally spin from gas. It's either the rod bearing or main bearing that spins and both are a low oil/abuse related issue. Unless your engine was built with the known issue bearings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrrr View Post
Never said anything about 93 octane. I filled with 91 octane non oxygenated gas. And it's a knock from a rod bearing, pretty obvious just hearing it. Our Subaru dealer agreed, so did a friend who's had one go out. I went on YouTube and listened to a few subarus with rod bearings that went out and it's identical, I just wanna know if that non oxygenated gas caused excessive knock and could have been the culprit
I read it wrong, sorry about that.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrrr View Post
It's not too bad now do gonna try and run Lucas through it strip it stock and trade it off
You're an asshole.

I just wanted to make sure you knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It's an 08...did you check your Vin to see if it falls into a late 08 build date and possible new engine from SOA? They put some crap bearings in late 08 and early 09s. Is the engine original? Realize a bearing won't normally spin from gas. It's either the rod bearing or main bearing that spins and both are a low oil/abuse related issue. Unless your engine was built with the known issue bearings.
Not applicable. Any of the engines that actually suffered from this defect would have failed long ago. And even then it only applies when the car is under warranty.
BLAZE2099 and Haw1es like this.
#10 Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Wasn't sure if it'd still be covered Justin. Figured it might be a long shot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You're an asshole.

I just wanted to make sure you knew
This is so true. Eat it and move on. Don't dump your problems on the next kid.

Grow UP!!!
brfatal and Haw1es like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew