Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Non oxygenated gas cause rod bearing failure? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/non-oxygenated-gas-cause-rod-bearing-failure-37313/)

Derrrr 07-27-2013 07:38 PM

Non oxygenated gas cause rod bearing failure?

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been on but here we go. 2008 wrx wagon. Accessport , aem intake, invidia catted downpipe, srs catback. Was in Minnesota late one night on empty and had to fill with 91 octane non oxygenated gas, said off road use only and was I'm a pinch. Now after another tank of regular 91 and some techron I have a rod bearing going out, only can here it between 2 and 3000 rpm and definitely is a rod bearing noise. Did the non oxygas cause excessive knock and spin the bearing ? It's not too bad now do gonna try and run Lucas through it strip it stock and trade it off but idk. I'm a slow driver and don't know why I have a fast car, I drive 65mph tops on interstate and rarely rarely rarely ever go hard on it. I get made fun of for having it since I don't drive it like its made. Grr problems of being 3rd owner with only 76,000 miles

pzr2874 07-28-2013 12:47 AM

Say whu?

First of all.... a tank of 91 vs 93 will not cause motor issues unless you were beating it up like I did with girls back in the day.

2nd, how do you know it's the bearing?

Derrrr 07-28-2013 12:59 AM

Never said anything about 93 octane. I filled with 91 octane non oxygenated gas. And it's a knock from a rod bearing, pretty obvious just hearing it. Our Subaru dealer agreed, so did a friend who's had one go out. I went on YouTube and listened to a few subarus with rod bearings that went out and it's identical, I just wanna know if that non oxygenated gas caused excessive knock and could have been the culprit

sleepr 07-28-2013 05:51 AM

If one does a bit of searching on the internet, the general consensus is that non-oxygenated gasoline will yield slightly higher mpg and octane rating, due to it's higher energy content compared to oxygenated gasoline. From what little I've read and vaguely remember from the debates over oxygenating gasoline from 20+ years ago in CA, non-oxygenated gasoline is slightly better for fuel systems and engines in general.

Therefore, it is hard to imagine that two tanks of non-oxygenated gasoline will cause significant knocking that will result in a spun bearing...

But I too like to speculate. I would suggest that sometime in the past the engine was low on oil for a period of time and the result of that is now appearing. Or, the car was driven in a spirited manner while the engine had not yet reached normal operating temperature.

That being said, what kind of "map" are you using? How often do you change your oil? What oil do you use? I'm no expert on diagnosing spun rod-bearings by ear, but statistically speaking, bearings usually "spin" due to a lack of oil and/or excessive friction.

But even I am using assumptions to come to an unconfirmed conclusion. Paul's question is the most important: What diagnostic test or visual inspection has been performed to actually confirm a spun rod bearing?

psinuse 07-28-2013 07:44 AM

2.0L motor are known to have rod failure at high RPM usage. Just because you did drive it hard doesn't mean the people prior didn't and I suspect they did the same thing as you and only band aided the issue and passed it off to some one else.

Derrrr 07-28-2013 09:13 AM

I use amsoil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles with Subaru filter and crush ring. Weird thing is 5 quarts always fills it up perfect to the line.
Not what the manual says. And also I disagree with you, I don't think he band aided the engine one bit since you can't really bandaid a spun rod bearing and then me buy it and put 15,000 miles on it. Just to be anal about it it's not a 2.0 liter engine. I also did clear up in my first post that just because I don't drive hard doesn't mean the previous owner didn't thats why I said problems of being third owner.

turmic 07-28-2013 10:27 AM

It's an 08...did you check your Vin to see if it falls into a late 08 build date and possible new engine from SOA? They put some crap bearings in late 08 and early 09s. Is the engine original? Realize a bearing won't normally spin from gas. It's either the rod bearing or main bearing that spins and both are a low oil/abuse related issue. Unless your engine was built with the known issue bearings.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color]

pzr2874 07-28-2013 11:40 AM

[quote=Derrrr;329530]Never said anything about 93 octane. I filled with 91 octane non oxygenated gas. And it's a knock from a rod bearing, pretty obvious just hearing it. Our Subaru dealer agreed, so did a friend who's had one go out. I went on YouTube and listened to a few subarus with rod bearings that went out and it's identical, I just wanna know if that non oxygenated gas caused excessive knock and could have been the culprit[/quote]

I read it wrong, sorry about that.

brfatal 07-28-2013 03:42 PM

[quote=Derrrr;329465] It's not too bad now do gonna try and run Lucas through it strip it stock and trade it off[/quote]

You're an asshole.

I just wanted to make sure you knew.

[quote=turmic;329610]It's an 08...did you check your Vin to see if it falls into a late 08 build date and possible new engine from SOA? They put some crap bearings in late 08 and early 09s. Is the engine original? Realize a bearing won't normally spin from gas. It's either the rod bearing or main bearing that spins and both are a low oil/abuse related issue. Unless your engine was built with the known issue bearings.[/quote]

Not applicable. Any of the engines that actually suffered from this defect would have failed long ago. And even then it only applies when the car is under warranty.

turmic 07-28-2013 08:58 PM

Wasn't sure if it'd still be covered Justin. Figured it might be a long shot.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/url][/color]

BLAZE2099 07-29-2013 09:02 PM

[quote=brfatal;329634]You're an asshole.

I just wanted to make sure you knew[/quote]

This is so true. Eat it and move on. Don't dump your problems on the next kid.

Grow UP!!!:nono: