Noise problem help - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pjkatz04

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Noise problem help

Does anyone have any idea what this noise is? Happens at speed, most noticable around 50 mph. Happens in gear and in neutral, coasting. Happens with brakes on and off. My guess is wheel bearing. 56k miles. Thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...1lFOEpYUWVySmM

Thanks!
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

The high pitched noise?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

You got it...high pitched noise, varies with speed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

It wouldn't be a bearing noise its much louder and is humming.... i would check your inter-cooler tube the big one on the right side from it not completely sure what its called... sometimes it has a by-pass leak over there also if it is leaking you could see all the blow by oil in it.... another thing could be your tires many times they get deformed and on high speeds they will make a noise (not the wheels the tires them self)...

Last edited by Ruslan Drankov; 02-14-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Ruslan. Don't think its tires---just put my winter tires on a few days ago, and noise is still there. Ill definitely check IC hose, but wasn't leaning towards that either. I guess it could be! Anyone else?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
does it vary with engine speed or road speed? one can rule out the other. i cant hear much in the vid except a little bit of whistling. which could be something as simple as door trim allowing air to whistle through.

if it matches road speed its something in your drivetrain. something rotating. axle, brakes, drive shaft, bearings, tires, wheels, etc...

if it matches engine speed its something engine bay related. pressure leak, valve tick, loose belt, impeeding electrical motor like a PS pump...

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #7 of 15 Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yes, road speed. I'll see what dealer says since it's still under warranty...
RoboTuner likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Dealer looked at it. Apparently it's transmission related. Supposed to be covered under warranty. This is second time transmission dropped in the vehicle. First time the 3 and 5 gear rings needed to be replaced. Not sure what issue specifically is now. Will have more info later next week. Only 57k on car...... Ugh.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Question-

Tech at dealer said that the short throw caused damage to shifter fork and some bearings. True?

I did some research last night and I couldn't seem to find any real facts on this. Particularly true if the distance between ball and linkage is exactly the same from stock. I'm pretty confused. Anyone w any experience able to provide insight?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz04 View Post
Question-

Tech at dealer said that the short throw caused damage to shifter fork and some bearings. True?

I did some research last night and I couldn't seem to find any real facts on this. Particularly true if the distance between ball and linkage is exactly the same from stock. I'm pretty confused. Anyone w any experience able to provide insight?
It's not likely. Typically a throw reduction will have an impact on synchro wear, but should not really have an effect on the forks unless your really "banging gears" and not fully engaging the clutch before selecting the next gear. It is possible though, just not very likely. As for the bearings more than likely it's just an un related part failure, unless you've been running around w/o any fluid in the box.

However, you're pretty much screwed as they can blame the failure on the aftermarket shifter and refuse the claim.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #11 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Except that Subaru completed a warranty repair on the box 6 months ago for something else. I think they didn't put it back properly, contamination got in, or fluid got low from not properly sealing things up last time.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Did you have the shifter then?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Of course. It's been on for years now...basically since I bought the car in 2012
post #14 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

If you have the Double Adj. STS they are known to cause transmission issues over time if not setup correctly. You'd know because going into reverse would either be a b*#*&^ or not happen at all.

Did you install the shifter yourself? If not bring the receipt for the install date to them along with the prior transmission receipt and show them they did warranty work with it in there last time. This will prevent them from being able to deny warranty work again.

Bending a shifter fork/trashing the bearings is caused by a couple things, improperly adjusted shifter/linkage, aftermarket clutch/adjustment/slippage, banging through gears (not fully engaged clutch, dropping the clutch in any gear change), granny shifting (causing excess wear), and a transmission mount shitting out.

My 5MT pops out of reverse/gets stuck in reverse sometimes, but between having v.6 Type RA ratios and a shot transmission mount I already know I'm going to have to do some work (especially after my transmission dipstick broke off while driving one day).
post #15 of 15 Old 03-21-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

How do you install it and make sure it's to spec then? How would a shop do it?