Subaru WRX Forum banner

Noise problem help

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
It wouldn't be a bearing noise its much louder and is humming.... i would check your inter-cooler tube the big one on the right side from it not completely sure what its called... sometimes it has a by-pass leak over there also if it is leaking you could see all the blow by oil in it.... another thing could be your tires many times they get deformed and on high speeds they will make a noise (not the wheels the tires them self)...

#6 ·
does it vary with engine speed or road speed? one can rule out the other. i cant hear much in the vid except a little bit of whistling. which could be something as simple as door trim allowing air to whistle through.

if it matches road speed its something in your drivetrain. something rotating. axle, brakes, drive shaft, bearings, tires, wheels, etc...

if it matches engine speed its something engine bay related. pressure leak, valve tick, loose belt, impeeding electrical motor like a PS pump...

#8 ·
Dealer looked at it. Apparently it's transmission related. Supposed to be covered under warranty. This is second time transmission dropped in the vehicle. First time the 3 and 5 gear rings needed to be replaced. Not sure what issue specifically is now. Will have more info later next week. Only 57k on car...... Ugh.

#9 ·
Question-

Tech at dealer said that the short throw caused damage to shifter fork and some bearings. True?

I did some research last night and I couldn't seem to find any real facts on this. Particularly true if the distance between ball and linkage is exactly the same from stock. I'm pretty confused. Anyone w any experience able to provide insight?

#10 ·
It's not likely. Typically a throw reduction will have an impact on synchro wear, but should not really have an effect on the forks unless your really "banging gears" and not fully engaging the clutch before selecting the next gear. It is possible though, just not very likely. As for the bearings more than likely it's just an un related part failure, unless you've been running around w/o any fluid in the box.

However, you're pretty much screwed as they can blame the failure on the aftermarket shifter and refuse the claim.

#14 ·
If you have the Double Adj. STS they are known to cause transmission issues over time if not setup correctly. You'd know because going into reverse would either be a b*#*&^ or not happen at all.

Did you install the shifter yourself? If not bring the receipt for the install date to them along with the prior transmission receipt and show them they did warranty work with it in there last time. This will prevent them from being able to deny warranty work again.

Bending a shifter fork/trashing the bearings is caused by a couple things, improperly adjusted shifter/linkage, aftermarket clutch/adjustment/slippage, banging through gears (not fully engaged clutch, dropping the clutch in any gear change), granny shifting (causing excess wear), and a transmission mount shitting out.

My 5MT pops out of reverse/gets stuck in reverse sometimes, but between having v.6 Type RA ratios and a shot transmission mount I already know I'm going to have to do some work (especially after my transmission dipstick broke off while driving one day).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.