No start, no spark, help please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
No start, no spark, help please

I am thoroughly perplexed with this. Here's the background: I bought the car with a rod knock and drove it a couple hundred yards to trailer it home, so yes it ran. I replaced the shortblock and heads with re-manufactured from Outfront Motorsports, assembled with a factory gasket and seal kit etc. using the sensors and plenum, turbo, coil packs etc. that were on the car. Motor is back in and I'm getting no start.

I plugged in the diagnostic loop (no codes) and checked all the obvious. I've got fuel but no spark. I swapped out cam and crank sensors and double checked timing, ran diagnostic loop again, no codes, but still no spark. I'm scratching my head and hoping for help here.Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ok, so you have fuel coming but no spark ? Meaning it will turn over ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Retrace your steps very carefully - I bet you just forgot to plug something in. It's probably something very small... at least I hope, for your sake Good luck!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Agreed

There are so many things that could be wrong when you have no spark on a complete build.

Does the car even crank?

Did you line up the notch on the crank pulley or the arrow when setting timing? (looks like somebody on nasioc had that issue, it should be the notch).

It's gotta be something related to the crank or cam sensors or timing. That's all I can think of besides a missed plug that would cut all spark.

-Chris
#5 Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, it cranks and sounds like good compression. All sensors are plugged in, and I tried switching out cam and crank sensors, checked the pins and spades on those connections. Timing is lined up with the notch (woodruff key straight down) I'm baffled....

I guess I'll check continuity at the coil packs after work. None of the guys at the shop have any clues either
#6 Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you use the plugs that were in there when you rec'd it ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM

No, I put in a new set of NGK's.
#8 Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Two dumb questions:

1. Is the battery good?

2. How much gas is in the tank?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#9 Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Two dumb questions:

1. Is the battery good?

2. How much gas is in the tank?
Yep, brand new Interstate. 3/4 of a tank. It started snowing here again yesterday and I've been working long hours at the shop, so first chance I'll have to get back to it is this weekend. First thing I'm checking is the teeth on the crank gear that the sensor picks up. Apparently if one of those is broken off the result is no spark. I don't really have anything else left to check and double check. Thanks
#10 Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM

There was a tooth missing from the crank gear. Swapped that out, re-timed it, and she fired right up
#11 Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice. I guess we were kind of right with the timing lol.

-Chris