no spark - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

06hawkeyemn is an unknown
no spark

i have an 06 wrx im not getting any spark i replaced the coil packs, spark plugs, cam sensors, crank sensor, my battery is fully charged, i have a full tank of gas, and my timing belt is fine.

so i was driving down my friends road doing 20 mph in second gear and my car just shut off. so i had it towed home and check the coil packs and i wasnt getting any spark so i checked forums and i saw crank and cam sensors so after replacing everything im still not getting spark need help asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

slomo is an unknown
If I were having this problem I would start at the ecu and check for voltage on the wires that control the ignition system before the coils. If the plug wires are old I'd replace those next. Check the grounding system on your engine. Without a good ground on the block the ignition system cant work properly.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

k thanks ill try that next
post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would suggest plugging in the "poop loop" (diagnostic connectors under the dash) and scan for codes. Considering everything that you said you have already replaced, if it doesn't show codes, the last thing I would suspect is that one of the teeth on the crank gear is missing (the little ones that the crank sensor detects, not the ones that the belt goes on)

What work, if any was done to the car just prior to the failure ?

Cullen
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

There are no codes and I read ## post about the missing tooth on the gear and I was thinking that might be it but I'm kind of new to subarus so where is the gear located
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
You have to remove the drive belts, crank pulley, and timing cover to see it. Full shop manual can be found here Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com Did you plug in the diag loop (connectors) before you scanned for codes ?

Cullen
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

u talking about the green test connectors by the pedals
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Correct. Plug those together, turn key on, scan for codes. If there is a sensor, relay or solenoid not functioning properly you'll pull a CEL code (aka DTC) for it. BTW, with the "poop loop" connected, key on, you will hear a whole cycle of fans, relays and such clicking, running etc. this is normal.

If you don't get any codes, then the issue is purely mechanical (for instance broken tooth on crank gear, jumped time etc.) You'll need to go in further to investigate. In your first post, you said timing is fine. Did you pull a cover(s) and check marks ?

Hope this helps

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement