No Power Steering HELP! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

mattxander12 is an unknown
No Power Steering HELP!

Last night, i had a WRX/STi meet at my college and we went out and played in the snow. Today i notice that i have no power steering. This is only during low RPM's. When RPM's are up, i have power steering seemingly. The fluid level is spot on mark. All snow around the wheel well has been knocked out so the wheels have full range. I couldn't get at the packed snow by the control arms etc. However i don't see how that makes much difference since my problem is only when my RPM's are low... such as 2300 RPM's and under. Above that i am fine and power steering *seems* to be there. Any thoughts, suggestions, help ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

RentForSale is an unknown
If it "seems" to be there and your already moving it's probably not there . I han an Integra with no power steering and once your moving you can move the wheel pretty easy . Not much help .

-NICK-
#3 Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
There could be a chance that you bent the steering arm but that would be reare. The steering pump is probably dying and needs more power to start mooving that's why it doesnt work in low RPM that would be sudjestion.
#4 Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

I was doing a lot of wheel - to - wheel locks when i was doing some 8's. A guy on nasioc said this wasn't too good for the steering pump and said i probably fried it. But that still doesn't add up to why i *do* get turning assistance at a stand still, simply by revving my engine up to higher rpm's. Any easy way to check for other issues to narrow it down to dying/dead PS pump ?

EDIT :: as an example...

Okay so i went out and did some testing see if this will help describe the problem exactly

when i go to a turn... and shift to neutral and the RPM's drop to 500ish....its ridiculously hard to turn the wheel meaning little to no power steering. HOWEVER... if i rev the engine , whilst still in neutral so i'm going the same speed.... the wheel immediately becomes easy to turn again. This is an example of what i mean that when the RPM's are up... i can easily turn , and when they're low....then i can't turn easy.

Last edited by mattxander12; 02-08-2007 at 08:48 PM.
#5 Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to White02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxander12 View Post
I was doing a lot of wheel - to - wheel locks when i was doing some 8's. A guy on nasioc said this wasn't too good for the steering pump and said i probably fried it. But that still doesn't add up to why i *do* get turning assistance at a stand still, simply by revving my engine up to higher rpm's. Any easy way to check for other issues to narrow it down to dying/dead PS pump ?

EDIT :: as an example...

Okay so i went out and did some testing see if this will help describe the problem exactly

when i go to a turn... and shift to neutral and the RPM's drop to 500ish....its ridiculously hard to turn the wheel meaning little to no power steering. HOWEVER... if i rev the engine , whilst still in neutral so i'm going the same speed.... the wheel immediately becomes easy to turn again. This is an example of what i mean that when the RPM's are up... i can easily turn , and when they're low....then i can't turn easy.

Did it end up being the power steering pump because I did the SAME EXACT thing this weekend
#6 Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yep, it was a fried power steering pump. An aftermarket pump will run 180-200.... all said and done it was a ~500 from my dealer. Also my steering rack seal needed to be reseat for whatever reason...might want to check your steering rack if you're under there doing the work.
#7 Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Quote:
Yep, it was a fried power steering pump. An aftermarket pump will run 180-200.... all said and done it was a ~500 from my dealer. Also my steering rack seal needed to be reseat for whatever reason...might want to check your steering rack if you're under there doing the work.
I'll tell you what that'll be the last time I do AWD donuts at 30 MPH

Do you think it'll hurt anything else if i don't get it done ASAP or can it wait a few days?

Wish I woulda seen this one first

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868321
#8 Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

haha... i never saw that thread...but I too wish i had. I was definitely in full lock.

As to your question about it being okay to drive w/o steering... here are some problems to think about
1.) if a seal was blown and you're leaking PS fluid...NOT OK to drive it for long. If your resevoir is still tippy toppy ... then you're fine to drive it.
2.) its way more dangereous in a panic-situation to not have Power Steering.

okay well i only came up with two...but generally you should be fine to wait for a little bit.
#9 Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Thanks a million. You saved a bunch I work for a Honda dealer who ownes a Subaru dealer and they were telling me it could be the diff and everything else. Good I checked here first. Where is the best place to pick one up? Is used worth it or go new or rebuilt?
#10 Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

I went throught he dealer b/c i still had warranty. But you can get OEM-spec PS pumps on ebay for 180ish...but that's just the pump, you'll still need to reuse your resevoir and serpentine belt etc.
#11 Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

SubiGURU is an unknown
Your Belt came off It happend to my friend he spilled antifreeze all over his engine and I guess it got on one of the pulleys and belt came off so please double check
#12 Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
So I just bought a used pump and it didn't work but there is an extra peice on the outlet that wasn't on mine it is a extention bolt please help if any one has a pic of what it is soposed to look like please let post it I am going to post a pic of it in a min. I need help before I send this one back so any one please let me know Call me (860)707-3416 Matt.
#13 Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
The 2 circled parts is what I'm talking about if any one knows why there is that peice on one and not the other please let me know. I would like to get this done tonight if at all posible.
Attached Images

#14 Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

It doesn't seem like it would affect functionality. Have you tried installing it just to see ? Does a hardline or softline go to the outlet ? I"m not sure
#15 Old 03-30-2007, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

White02 is an unknown
Quote:
It doesn't seem like it would affect functionality. Have you tried installing it just to see ? Does a hardline or softline go to the outlet ? I"m not sure
I don't think so at this point either but I havn't tryed yet I don't feel like being out here for another 3 hours either but I probably should. It is a hard banjo line