no boost pressure need help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

tylorsanchez is an unknown
no boost pressure need help

hey guys i need help with my 02 wrx it has about 90 k um no to familur with this engine yet so not sure on what modes it has so me and my friends were messing around halling ass in my rex and i blew out my mass flow senser but now my turbo wont kick in and it sounds like its just blowing out like my psi's will not go above 5 even when my turbo is turned up. so i am really lost on were the problem could be. please halp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I remember seeing this thread last week, because of the comment about the turbo being "turned up." Do you have a manual boost controller on it? You'd have a knob to turn for the boost. That's not something you want to have on your car. It sounds like you have a bad boost leak, and that can be really anywhere. I'd check the bypass valve first, but I'm willing to bet that if the car has a MBC, that they installed a blow-off valve too. Does the car go "pshhhh" when you shift? I'd check there first. Give us some more details about what's been done to the car and we can help. The thing is this: the more details we can have, the better we can help. Mechanics can see what's been done to the car, so they need less of an explanation, but we don't have that benefit. You can always take some under the hood photos and especially around the turbo and intercooler areas. Really, if you take photos, don't worry about how many you take and get as close and as many as you can. You can delete them later, but if we have more detailed shots, we can usually pick out what's been done. Good luck.
#3 Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

the car does not have a blow off valve but i will get some pics up soon
#4 Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

got some pics on my profile now
#5 Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Well, good news is you don't have a cold-air intake, or BOV. I would recommend taking the manual boost controller off the car first thing. That's the little knob you took a close up photo of. I've never done anything with MBCs, so I don't know what lines to cap off or re-route, but I know there's a recent thread on here about removing a MBC, although I don't think it got into the actual removal of it yet. Here, this should help:
CobbTuning.com - How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works (Thanks to turmic on that link)

Regarding the problem of not boosting otherwise, google search for how to do a boost leakdown test. That ought to help too.
#6 Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
No Problem HondaFan

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae