No 1st gear!? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

silvr_wag is an unknown
No 1st gear!?

I live about an hour North of Philly. We got some snow on Sunday. I got stuck in said snow yesterday. I have an 02 WRX wagon and it usually can get out jams like this. I was trying to get out for a good ten minutes. I finally got out and came up to a red light to find that I now cannot get into first gear. Does this sound like a synchros problem or a bigger transmission problem?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
Sounds like a syncho problem to me. Maybe your tranny fluid isn't robust enough for the weather?

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#3 Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's possible. When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid? It should be done every 30k or so. If you're using cheap/stock fluid or don't know what's in there, give the Andrewtech Cocktail a try:

(1x) 1 Liter Motul Gear 300 75W-90
(3x) 1 Quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140

Might be worth a shot spending 50 bucks or so to see if you can fix the problem yourself before you take it to the dealer and spend several hundred or thousand.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

silvr_wag is an unknown
I've got Redline fluid in there. I probably put it in 20k mi. ago. Guess I'm going to have her get checked out. Thanks.
#5 Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Darn, that's probably not it then. I used Redline 75W-90 NS in my transmission immediately after initial break-in from 3,000-60,000 miles with no ill effects. I switched from that to the Andrewtech Cocktail at 60,000 and I currently have ~72,000 - again, no ill effects.

Something mechanical is probably screwed up. Get ready to spend some mula

John
#6 Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
John, Andrew recommends changing the cocktail every 15-20K

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh really? I didn't know that. Is that just for the fluid in general, or for cars that are driven especially hard? I guess I'll be changing that at 80k then instead of 90k as I was planning. I wonder if any companies out there make a quick drain valve for the transmission fluid plug

John
#8 Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You have a Fumoto already... call em.... I'd like to know also if they make a tranny plug....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You have a Fumoto already... call em.... I'd like to know also if they make a tranny plug....
You're right, I do

The only problem with putting a quick drain valve on the bottom of the trans is that it would stick straight down underneath the car by an inch or two and be unprotected from debris. That's also one of the lowest points under the car, so it makes sense that Subaru used a flat-style plug that's pretty thick on the sides. The oil drain valve is slightly more protected by the plastic guard under the front end and it's mounted slightly higher and at an angle, so I'm not worried about that one. Now that I have the correct Torx bit (T-70 instead of T-60), I'm not too worried about the trans drain plug (I rounded out my first one using the smaller bit so I had to replace it). If there was an easier solution to finding/accessing the trans fluid filler neck behind/under the TMIC, I'd be all over that. It's a pain to always find a second person to help hold the funnel/hose when I fill it up and then I feel bad for them because they have to stand there for a while in an awkward position bent over the engine because the fluid is so thick and it fills sooo slow.

John
#10 Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good points....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3