New WRX Owner -- Need Troubleshooting advice PLEASE HELP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AndrewD17 is an unknown
New WRX Owner -- Need Troubleshooting advice PLEASE HELP

Okay so heres the deal, I recently bought my first Subaru. Its a 2002 WRX with 73k on it. I love the car aside from this major issue I cant seem to figure out. First off it has the check engine light is on and heres the codes that came up:

453 EVAP
1590 idle speed control
1090 emissions
1092 emissions
1507 idol speed
0170 bank one lean
1088 emissions

Now when you drive the car, it runs good until it decides to fall on its face. i dont know how to explain it other than its like hitting a brick wall. It also likes to die sometimes when sitting at a stop. It seems to be completely random as to when the car does this, and it seems to be getting worse. The car is also under boosted running at about 7 pounds and feels a little slugish due to this. I did just replace the MAF sensor and put a new air filter on it since i had the codes run. The car has a cold air intake and a knock off HK blow off valve. I also know the emissions have been removed from the car and it is otherwise stock. A friend of mine said the under boosting could be because of boost leaking out of the blow off valve, but I dont think that could explain it falling on its face. Could it be a throttle body going bad? Anyway just looing for some help as to what it probably is rather than spending a bunch of time and money just replacing things that it coulld be.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD17 View Post
Okay so heres the deal, I recently bought my first Subaru. Its a 2002 WRX with 73k on it. I love the car aside from this major issue I cant seem to figure out. First off it has the check engine light is on and heres the codes that came up:

453 EVAP
1590 idle speed control
1090 emissions
1092 emissions
1507 idol speed
0170 bank one lean
1088 emissions

Now when you drive the car, it runs good until it decides to fall on its face. i dont know how to explain it other than its like hitting a brick wall. It also likes to die sometimes when sitting at a stop. It seems to be completely random as to when the car does this, and it seems to be getting worse. The car is also under boosted running at about 7 pounds and feels a little slugish due to this. I did just replace the MAF sensor and put a new air filter on it since i had the codes run. The car has a cold air intake and a knock off HK blow off valve. I also know the emissions have been removed from the car and it is otherwise stock. A friend of mine said the under boosting could be because of boost leaking out of the blow off valve, but I dont think that could explain it falling on its face. Could it be a throttle body going bad? Anyway just looing for some help as to what it probably is rather than spending a bunch of time and money just replacing things that it coulld be.
Thanks
All of those right there are the problem. Get a stock air box, BPV(by-pass valve another term for blow off valve). As far as the emissions issues, those are tune through a tuning process, where the ECU is given different settings to run which usually eliminates those emission CELs. That is illegal and if you get caught you can get a hefty fine and even time in jail.
Hope this helps you out and if you have anymore question feel free to ask.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AndrewD17 is an unknown
yeah, he also said that subarus are kinda touchy when it comes to aftermarket intakes. ill give that a try. and i know your not supposed to remove them but i live in a little town where you dont have to have your cars emissions tested and they never check that sort of thing around here.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just stated that as a law thing...haha They can be touchy due to the fact that the MAF sensor can't get a correct reading. It can be tuned for it, but it's really a waste of time. As far as the emissions, you can get a O2 sensor fix for the rear cat that will eliminate that. The EVAP is probably a hose not connected correctly. Most of those are related to the missing cats and the CAI.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Agreed. It wouldn't hurt to check out and make sure your car has the restrictor pill in place also. Its in the little vac line that comes off the compressor of the turbo. With out that you will only see 8 ish lbs of boost. If its missing head to a dealership they should be under 2 bucks. But yeah Im betting if you put the car back to stock it would fix most of those issues. If and when you are ready to start modding, start with an exhaust and a tune you will love it. That's a pretty low mileage 02 so you shouldn't have may probs upgrading. As for it falling on its face I've heard of cars with cai on them doing that. Good luck man.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

The restrictor pill CURSE YOU RESTRICTOR PILL!!!!!!

I'd say more than likely once you get either a tune or revert back to stock you should be okay.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Feeling like hitting a brick wall is also a tell-tale sign of hitting fuel/boost cut from an overboost event, possibly caused by all those mods with no tune. Just another though.

-Chris
post #8 of 12 Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
But you would get a flashing cruise control light and a seperate CEL ... Maybe it's below all the other codes on the list ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Baja Joe is an unknown
My friend has the same Subaru, and he's in the same boat---doesn't help that he's foolish too.

He bought the 02 WRX with after mark parts, and he said it ran great, then it started to crap out; then stopped boosting.

I told him he had tow options:
1. return the entire car back to stock; rest the ECU; and everything will be ok
2. get a tune

I would garantee the previous owner had a Cobb AP! When you "unmarry" an AP the computer is returned to stock--and that's when you start chassing your tail.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice spelling Joe. Have you intro'd yourself in the newbie forum? Snap to it, people would like to see your car as well.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Ha ha ha. Keith. Yeah man it struck me too. Cheap easy fix just had to wait for one at the dealership for a week.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Ha ha ha. Keith. Yeah man it struck me too. Cheap easy fix just had to wait for one at the dealership for a week.
I'd be scared to know where mine is right now. Probably buried in a box somewhere in my garage...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement