Subaru WRX Forum banner

New intake, looses power 4500k rpm please help

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  subawolfe 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So I am new to the forum as well as to the wrx community. I am an owner of a 2012 wrx sedan pearl white! So far my only mods is a Cobb intake and rally armor flaps! My tuner and invidia exhaust is on there way but I got alittle ahead of my self and purchased the intake. Install was easy and I love the sound of this intake! Although it sort of created a problem. Around 4500rpm the car seems to shutter and looses power then kicks back in. It only seems to be in 2nd and 3rd gear pulls a tiny but in 4th as well. On my shops evo we had a similar problem, then we gapped the plugs and it went away! Is this the same problem or do I need to install the tune and see if that fixes it? Thank you guys so much for the input! Glad to be a subie owner again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but that exactly confirms the need for a tune, the factory tune is nice and rich at the bottom and progressively leans out up top, The OEM tune is not just under powered but it can also be rather dangerous for the engine under "spirited" driving. Adding more airflow to the system can cause some serious problems. hopefully your AP takes care of the problem and no harm no foul.
@subawolfe, Its Tuesday, hows she run with the tune?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.