Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need Help. No Boost. Possible Leak?

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been a forums viewer of this site for sometime now.I never had signed up since most of the questions to my problems or information was easily accessible on here. However, It has finally come the time for me become a member and seek specific help in my problem with my vehicle. Will really appreciate all the help on this.

*Note: Semi-long post but has all the details to avoid dragging multiple questions with already done tests and diagnosis.

Lets begin with the car details:
Vehicle: 2002 Subaru WRX
Upgrades/ Add-ons: Agency Power Up-pipe / Godspeed Silicone Inlet / Oil Temp gauge/ Oil press. gauge/ Boost gauge
Parts replaced currently: Purchased New Stock Turbo / Replaced all gaskets with grimspeed gaskets (Up-pipe, Stock Headers, Turbo)

Current problem:
-Shows vacuum levels on gauge, but once it tried to reach boost is stays at "0".
-Can hear a sound like a boost leak? when trying to reach boost, Unsure is its the turbo spooling sound though. Cant seem to find my problem.

Check ups/ Verifications:
-Car seems to start up good and idle good and runs good (without boost obviously)
-No weird sounds at idle
-No noticeable odd smoke from exhaust
-Did a smoke test due to current problem and found a 5inch crack under stock inlet flex area(This is why the inlet replaced)
-Vacuum lines checked and used common tests such as carb cleaner and soapy water.
-Tested Solenoid 12V battery method
-Checked Turbo Actuator arm (Pull) and clip is there also.
-Re-checked new turbo to make sure it wasn't blown by me and verify i primed it well.
-Checked to make sure Air box and filter were on properly.
-Checked TMIC hoses
-No check engine light

My unsolved problem has had me going crazy, Would be really awesome for some help, Even if takes some Pizza and Beer for 1 or 2 people to meet up and try helping me on this I don't care, I could use any help I can get right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: After re-checking a few things today, I let the car warm up and drove it down my dead end street a couple of times trying to listen to the leak sound carefully. I finally managed to find the sound coming from my turbo down pipe. I passed my hand around the bolted area connected to exhaust and felt air pulse. Tried re-tightening the area but its seems to not fix the leak. So, my question is would this leak cause my main problem of no boost at all?, Or would i expect to see some signs of boost (Even low) with this issue still?, Or am i still looking at possible bigger boost leaks in other areas?

Any response to my issues would really help me take notes.
I will probably just throw in the towel and take the car to my local mechanic and let him figure it out.

#3 ·
This definitely sounds like a boost leak. I would take off you TMIC and make sure the inlet, BPV return hose and the vacuum, lines to the boost solenoid are all hooked up properly and all clamps are tight. After that I would go over the TMIC and make sure all said gaskets are good (BOV and underneath 2 off of the y pipe). Then I would remount the TMIC and take her out for another spin. It might seem like you might have already done this but sometimes its crazy what you thought you saw or what you thought you did and you realize you didn't

#4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions on what to verify GSMNZ. I will work on this. My mechanic is booked and cant take the car now anyway so I will be doing a DYI leak tester from supplies at Lowes to try catching what I can't probably see.

I will update once i discover my findings and results.

#5 ·
Update:
- Did a leak test with DIY supplies and Air Compressor (Found one leak and fixed)
- Double checked my vacuum lines and TMIC. Purchased new clamps and installed on areas needing replacing.

Did not hear anymore leaks after. Took the car for a small drive and still getting zero boost. What else can be my problem?.. would the boost solenoid be bad?.. I did check it previously with 12v test and heard the clicking.

Any fellow forum members mind helping me out on this?... maybe swapping and testing solenoid with someone else thats willing to meet up?...I live in Methuen/NH Border.

Or is there anything else I should be looking to check cause I think I pretty much got my leak tests and verifications covered.

#9 ·
Update: Got in touch with a friend whom had a buddy that works at a Subaru dealer as mechanic/tech. He found my problem to be my downpipe is trash... its broken up inside and probably clogged. He drove it without the downpipe to test and told me boost and car response were returning. Couldn't drive it too long he said cause it was loud as F*@$!.. lol.

#12 ·
To balance off some of the input to this post gents, catalytic converters are good for the environment and high-flow items are good enough for our performance cars.

COBB is quality exhaust gear, so I'd be interested in finding out why a quality cat like that would start to restrict exhaust flow.

I heard oils with high zinc levels like my Rotella T stuff is hard on cats, so that's a possible concern.

#15 ·
Bah. A cat should not clog that quickly Jon. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's not exhaust but a piece of that motor that messed your cat up. :p

I like being able to breath when I walk in the city and eating apples from the local farm. Thank you catalytic converter, couldn't have don it without you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.