Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Need help, horrible sound. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/need-help-horrible-sound-31165/)

Prouse 08-09-2011 06:10 PM

Need help, horrible sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOypt19407Y]‪09 WRX problem‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
There's a link to the noise I am hearing. It just had a few things done to it about a month ago and has blown off a vac line once already. The upgrades are TBE, ELH, CAI, EBCS, larger TMIC, Recirc BOV, and one step colder plugs.
My friend that usually does the work on my car is out of town for a week and i don't know too much about them, but the noise is only heard when the CAI starts sucking in air.

mfarnham 08-09-2011 07:56 PM

Wow... That sounds like an electric saw when you cut into the wood

You have a tune, right?

wrx1456 08-09-2011 08:05 PM

Theres not a cat stuck in the fan huh?

Prouse 08-09-2011 08:15 PM

That's exactly what it sounds like. Yes i have a tune and there is no cat in the fan :P
Just randomly happened today while driving to the beach. during regular highway driving.

Prouse 08-09-2011 08:18 PM

And again it's only when the CAI really starts sucking air that you can hear it.

cwinterbower 08-09-2011 08:52 PM

vacuum line to the bov is still plugged? Sounds like a massive boost leak somewhere. Between an intercooler hose is what I would have guessed but you have top mount. Sounds like bpv is opening up or something, is the top mount 100% aluminum? Didn't blow off of connection to throttle body?

black beast2 08-09-2011 08:57 PM

It sounds to me like a piece of plastic baggie got sucked in your intake or something. You might want to take it apart and have a look in your intake and inlet tube.

black beast2 08-09-2011 09:05 PM

Does it happen when your not building boost? Is you target psi being met and held like normal when you are in boost?

RcrsWetDream 08-09-2011 09:06 PM

Definitely a cat stuck in your engine bay somewhere.

But it really sounds like a leak of some sort. Doubt it's a line popped off, but rather a leak at a connection that is somewhat close together, sort of like putting a blade of grass between your fingers and blowing through it.

I would guess: bpv gasket, intercooler-throttle body connection (those rubber ends tend to pop off and leak like that), or turbo-intercooler connection.

If it was a line popped off the manifold to the bpv it would idle like dookie and your bpv wouldn't work and you'd get compresssor surge.

black beast2 08-09-2011 09:23 PM

The rubber that connects my tmic to the TB came half off once and it made a similar sound not quite as bad tho, maybe have a look at that if you haven't.

Prouse 08-10-2011 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It can happen when not building boost, as long as the CAI is really starting to suck in air. I had a closer look and this is the only thing I can find in the pic. Seems to be coming from the intake to the intercooler. Gonna fix that rubber hose tomorrow after work and see if that does the job.

black beast2 08-10-2011 02:24 AM

That's it man I almost guarantee it. Is that the AVO tmic, same one I have they work awesome for how small they are.

Prouse 08-10-2011 02:37 AM

Yep, that's my AVO. My tuner strongly recommended it to me. We'll hope that's it, if not i'll be pulling the TMIC for a better look at things.

RcrsWetDream 08-10-2011 08:49 AM

I can 99% guarantee that's the problem. If you have some hair spray, spray the inside of that down and it'll act like glue once you slip the TMIC in there. You can just take that piece off and do the same hairspray glue to the bare hose and it'll probably seal even better.

cwinterbower 08-10-2011 08:54 AM

Yeah, this is exactly what I was referring to from intercooler to throttle body. I have had this happen quite a few times when horseing around with different intercoolers. I finally had to get a new silicone connector that I could really clamp down and didn't have that goofy 90deg bend in it. Glad it was something simple. The way the stock connector is shaped makes this fairly certain to happen in the future as well. Never heard the hairspray idea outside of putting rubber grips on motorcycles and bike's but as long as it doesn't catch fire :p I guess you are ok.
-Carl